iTunes 2 is going nuts! Bloated Temp Files!

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
Ever since I downloaded iTunes 2.0.3 I've been having the weirdest pain-in-the-ass problem: iTunes keeps creating these damn "iTunes Temp" files ("iTunes Temp", "iTunes Temp 1", "iTunes Temp 2", . . . "iTunes Temp 98") every time I load iTunes. Coincidentally, these mysterious Temp files (one created each time I load the app) are the *EXACT* same size as my "iTunes Music Library (2)" file. One time, I tried deleting this file and renaming one of the Temp files iTunes Music Library (2) and--wadda ya know--it still shows my library! So, for some reason iTunes now keeps creating this Music Library file in the form of a Temp File over and over (it's 2.1 MB so the folder gets bloated in no time and I have to keep dumping them). What the f@#k?? Help me Obe-Won, you're my only hope!

Oh, I noticed that with the third-party mini app, "iTunes Tool" running, I CANNOT quit iTunes; it just keeps re-loading iTunes if I quit. If I quit "iTunes Tool" then I CAN quit iTunes. So, I no longer use iTunes Tool but maybe it has some invisible critter file running in the background. Any ideas?? help! Could this be causing my strange problem. Am I alone in this freak phenomenon??

I don't see the problem here, but I only have about 450 songs and a 368k library file. But I do have two iTunes library files located there.
I also updated my playlists last night and added many new songs and tranferred to the iPod.

Originally posted by SCrossman
I don't see the problem here, but I only have about 450 songs and a 368k library file. But I do have two iTunes library files located there.
I also updated my playlists last night and added many new songs and tranferred to the iPod.

I noticed a similar thread in the General area of this forum and then checked my itunes folder. Sure enough, I have a few temp files too. Weird. That sucks!

After taking a look at itunes' log file, I noticed that my log said something like 'there are 3 files that may need to be re-prebound.' What does this mean??

Does anyone know how to re-bind an application?

While I've been trying to figure this issue out, I noticed a weird little app in my Login window. Anyone know what this SymSecondary Launcher app is? It appears to be related to Norton Anti-Virus. Anyone experiencing any NAV problems?

Surely other people must be effected by this annoying problem...

Symantic confirmed that the problem does exist(!) but claims that their latest version of Norton Anti-Virus 8.0 [still in beta] (which was the alleged cause of the Temp files problem) has corrected this problem.

We'll see when it's released . . . (but until then, this sucks).

Doh! I am running NAV 8 also and get the same problem.
I wonder if it is the cause of my 'IE Favourites wont save problem also'?

Originally posted by southpac
Doh! I am running NAV 8 also and get the same problem.
I wonder if it is the cause of my 'IE Favourites wont save problem also'?

Maybe ... I used to have the same problem as well! (Try "exporting" the favorites before you quit and then simply replace your favorites.html with THAT one!)

GadgetLover try typing: man update_prebinding

in a terminal window and it'll explain to you what it does.

Back