iTunes 3 Framerates

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
So I've been using G-Force as my main visualizer in iTunes, but after the update I decided to check out if the built-in visualizer had changed any.

Has anyone else noticed, um, i dunno, something in the neighborhood of FRAMERATES 3 TIMES AS FAST AS IN 2.0.4?!?!

Apparently iTunes can now take advantage of OpenGL - and I saw framerates go from topping out at 15 to 17 to topping out at around 63. YES, 63. Settings were for low quality. On high quality, I saw an increase of about 5 to 8 frames per second.

I'm on an upgraded B&W G3 with the specs listed below.

I'm astonished. If 10.2 can make the interface for the whole OS even HALF as fast as that, I'll be floored. The live-resizing thing is OK, but that's still choppy on my machine. :(

Yeas I am getting 30 – 37 in high res and it topped out at 100 in the low res setting. Thats also on large but not full screen (about 2/3 of the screen – 17" display at 1028 x 1024).

My specs

OS X 10.1.5
Quicksilver 733 Mhz
896 MB RAM
1 x 40 GB HDD
1 X 8 GB HDD

eric

Yep! It's great -- on my iBook 500 which formerly just kind of plodded through visualization, things are much smoother now. Much better framerates. Used to hover around 17-20, now it's routinely at 28-32.

My frame rates have fallen over 60% to around 7, the max I could get, at any resolution or size, was 12. That's uncapped, using OpenGL on rougher but faster display... I've got an iMac TFT with 786 MB RAM and no other apps running for ***** sake. :mad:

I'm really unimpessed with the visualizer, but I do think the ~/music/ organization scheme is really useful (makes backups faster) and the playlist idea is cool too. I've got lot sof MP3's that i had forgotten I'd ripped, and then I rip the CD again hehe.

My overall rating is unchanged (i.e., upgrade netted me nothing positive). I also think that Apple could have gone the extra inch and put it in the iDisk folder (it wasn't there when I checked, just 2.0.4 with that satanic icon ;)).

When I select OpenGL in the Options for the iTunes visualizer, it won't stay checked when I click on options again. I get the same old 20 to 30 fps in highres windown of iTunes, 12-15fps in highres full screen. How are you guys getting 30 fps in fullscreen mode highres? In low res full screen, I get almost 30 fps. My specs are listed below.

Why can't I find the iTunes preference to turn off rough display? I turned it on somehow... but now I cant find it turn it off

Take it off fullscreen mode and turn it on. Where the Burn CD button is, will become an Options rainbow cog. Click that :)

I don't remember whether it's F or R key, I'm on my XP box now.

Press one of those while in the viz.

I didn't know of these options! Wicked. It so smooth. I get 60fps av, peaking around 80! Sweet. Looks really good.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Despite 2 reboots, it looks like the third one did something...

I now get wicked frame rates. 35/36 in smooth, and ~80 in rough!

Ok, now my rating of itunes 3 is a plus :p

My full-screen framerates (in hi-res) went from 10-14 to 24-32 on my G4/466 w/RADEON 32MB, and yes, based on my exeriences with 10.2DP1 (which is months old and has been much better optimized by now, mind) you can expect at least this amount of speedup to your UI with quartz extreme. I know it gets me 30 fps with the minimize effect, so stop whining about the price; you don't see XP service packs doubling the speed of the UI :)

And guess what? After a couple of days sitting at around 60 fps, my visualizer now completely caps out at 26. I've installed the 7/18/02 Security Update, and the July ATI update, but after I noticed the difference I loaded the June ATI update back on instead, but it didn't help.

I'm really quite mad.

======
My full-screen framerates (in hi-res) went from 10-14 to 24-32 on my G4/466 w/RADEON 32MB, and yes, based on my exeriences with 10.2DP1 (which is months old and has been much better optimized by now, mind) you can expect at least this amount of speedup to your UI with quartz extreme. I know it gets me 30 fps with the minimize effect, so stop whining about the price; you don't see XP service packs doubling the speed of the UI
======

True, but it is faster to begin with. 10.2 Fixes a lot of bugs that should have been fixed with an update!

But, it has so many cool features that paying for it is ok, IMHO.

Back