iTunes 4.6 Breaks hymn (aka Fairplay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeb1138

Carioca
Any iTMS songs de-restricted with hymn (http://www.hymn-project.org/) will not play in iTunes 4.6. Songs de-restricted through the previous version of hymn (PlayFair) will still play.

I de-restricted all my songs so that I could easily use them in Final Cut (need to convert them to aiff). Good thing I kept backups of all the m4p's I guess.

FYI I don't de-restrict my music because I am a pirate, I just don't want to have to burn a CD every time I use one of my songs in a video project.

Seems like all this will do is drive people to create something to break this most recent layer of iTunes protection, yeah? This most recent layer is paper-thin and easy to defeat, so why did they do it? I guess it forces someone to release an illegal software product whereas perhaps hymn could possibly be argued to be legal....?

Attachments

• no_hymn.jpg
    no_hymn.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 56
jeb1138 said:
Any iTMS songs de-restricted with hymn (http://www.hymn-project.org/) will not play in iTunes 4.6. Songs de-restricted through the previous version of hymn (PlayFair) will still play.

I de-restricted all my songs so that I could easily use them in Final Cut (need to convert them to aiff). Good thing I kept backups of all the m4p's I guess.

FYI I don't de-restrict my music because I am a pirate, I just don't want to have to burn a CD every time I use one of my songs in a video project.

[EDITED BECAUSE OF INFO ON HOW TO CIRCUMVENT APPLE'S DRM.]

No need to use illegal software that Apple will continue to break anyway.

[EDITED BECAUSE OF INFO ON HOW TO CIRCUMVENT APPLE'S DRM.] I'd rather just have unfettered access to my music though...hmmm...maybe that's asking too much.

Anyway, Apple can't continue to break it, actually. All Apple did was break the version of the program that tried to be more legitimate. Now it will just revert back to the old method (the songs I de-restricted using the old method still play no problem. There's really no way for Apple to break those files.) which was not trying to be legitimate at all. Oh well.

Please do NOT give info on how to circumvent Apple's DRM. If you buy songs from iTMS, you agree on the license terms. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back