iTunes 4.7!

There's a preference for the iPod under iTunes Preferences now, or was that there in version 4.6?

Apple should change the process of these iPod updates in my opinion. As far as I can see, there's no real way to see whether old iPod users need this update for anything... Also: Why isn't this in Software Update? Maybe because I don't need this updater at all?

Well, as I thought: The installer doesn't do anything to my 4G 40 GB iPod.

I noticed that I had to download the updaters as well, they still have not shown up in software update.

Well, it says 3.0.1 is good enough for my iPod 4G. Dunno where that 3.0.5 number comes from... iPod Photo only?

Check out the advanced tab in iTunes 4.7. There's now the option to have the "mini player" float above all other windows. Neat!

Edit: And under the Edit menu there's a new "Show Duplicate Songs" option. Very helpful for those large music libraries!

That'd be the advanced tab in iTunes' preferences. I first didn't find what you meant. :) ... Good find! Didn't see this advertised. Well, it's a small change, but a good one... :)

iPenguin said:
Check out the advanced tab in iTunes 4.7. There's now the option to have the "mini player" float above all other windows. Neat!

Edit: And under the Edit menu there's a new "Show Duplicate Songs" option. Very helpful for those large music libraries!

yeah... but it isn't very powerful.... it only looks for duplicated names (and since i have 5 different versions of some songs they all show up) it's cool but i wish that it would do a little more

It's probably not on Software Update yet. Sometimes Apple releases software and it doesn't show up on Software Update for anywhere from a few hours to a day or two.

Whether you download it now or install it via Software Update sometime in the future, it's the same thing. For now, you gotta download it.

I won't be updating iTunes to 4.7 for some time, if at all. I really like iTunes, but I don't want to have to manually download three updates for both my Mac and my brother's PC just to share music libraries.

And I hate that iPod software keeps showing up in Software Update. My 3G iPod is as good as it's going to get. No more iPod Software, please.

Interestingly, version 3.0.2 is the one that is in my Software Update. If 3.0.5 has been released, I would have thought it relatively painless to have it replace .2 in my SU.

3.0.5 isn't for your iPod. Only the new color photo iPods.

Also, you could highlight the update in Software Update, navigate to the "Update" menu and select "Ignore Update" for those updates you don't want or need.

I'm sure the iTunes updates and QuickTime updates will appear in software update shortly, so that'll at least take care of the manual updating of the Macs... the PCs, though, probably have to be manually updated.

Why would a brand new iPod already need an update? Does the updater update the iPod, or prepare your Mac for the photo iPod?

BTW: how cool does the U2 iPod look?

It depends -- does the updater say "iPod Update" or "iPod Software"? If it's software, I'd be willing to bet that it adds photo-syncing abilities to your Mac for use with the new iPod.

I don't like the U2 iPod that much. Black's cool, but the red click-wheel I don't like. Still, very nice for the price and free U2 songs you get with it.

Back