iTunes 4.8 prevents sleep

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
Ever since I upgraded to iTunes 4.8, my computer won't auto-sleep if iTunes is loaded. It's not playing anything or running a visualizer or doing anything unusual, but it's preventing sleep. Does this happen to anyone else, and are there any fixes?

For what its worth, I performed the upgrade at the same time as the 10.4.1 update. At first I thought it was a bug in 10.4.1, but it still auto-sleeps just fine when iTunes isn't loaded.

I had an issue with my machine not going to sleep the other day when I tried putting it to sleep. I am not sure that I had iTunes open, though. I may have had it hidden.

Turns out it's not iTunes. At least not anymore. It's just Tiger. It NEVER auto-sleeps anymore. Ever. Which is really annoying, because I just can't always put my computer to sleep myself. For example, if I leave a download going, I want my computer to go to sleep soon after the download finishes. I can't get it to do that anymore.

Does this happen to anyone else? Like I said before, it all started with the 10.4.1 update. Now I'm using 10.4.2, and it's still a problem, with or without iTunes.

I also hear my disk churn every now and then out of the blue. I have no idea what's causing this, but maybe it's a clue.

Any ideas?

I don't use auto sleep, but I use manual sleep every night, as my dual 2.5 blast furnace is in my bedroom. I can no longer manual sleep, or I get one shot at manual sleep. I have located a couple of widgets that prevent it for sure. They are the type that access the web for map updates etc. However, I eliminated all those and last night it would not sleep after I woke it once and tried to put it back to sleep. I am using 10.4.2 and went stright to it from 10.3.9

Hi,

I have similar sleep problems - my iBook doesn't go into its scheduled sleep anymore as far as the hard disk is concerned (display no probs). The menu Sleep function still works fine, though.

I tried to trash some plist files - no help. Find out that the scheduled sleep only works as it should in Safe Mode (Safe Boot). No problems there.

As far as I can tell, at present, the difference between my Safe Mode activities (using Activity Monitor to see the active processes) and the "unsafe" mode is mdimport - which is Spotlight related.

I'd like to disable Spotlight completely (and not simply its indexing) in order to see what happens with sleep.

Back