iTunes 5 features

Anyone care to guess what new features iTune 5 will bring to the table?

Any feature you wish will make it to a future iTunes release?

How about the ability to turn off internet radio just like you can turn off the music store?
If that could be hidden from the source column that would be great because as it is, it's very annoying to have to click the dialog box telling you that you're not on the internet when you're offline. It's the bane of my iTunes existence! Grrr!

Captain Code said:
Ability to share your songs over the network without having iTunes open all the time.

allready there, turn on personal file sharing, go to someone elses music folder in Home, and get all his music without havin iTunes open.

the good with iTunes sharing is that u can also select which playlists to share; it just makes things easier.

and anyways, How would ur proposal be a NEW feature to iTunes 5, if ud want it closed ?

iTunes really needs a subscription-based, radio-style option. If only to compete with the other options.

I originally poo-pooed the Napster/M$ (and others) subscription model, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. especially if Apple did it right, the way they did ITMS to begin with.

For example, let's pretend Apple added a subscription/radio option for $15-$25 per month. Ideally I could choose a "station", kind of like iTunes has now for the radio section, but much more niche and much more customizable for a given user. If I could choose "80's Industrial" for an hour and then pop over to "70's folk music" for another hour, that would be cool.

But it need to go even farther by having stuff like "If you liked that song, you should check out this one...". And you should be able to rate songs as you hear them if you wish, or otherwise mark them for later consideration. And you should have the immediate option to buy the song/album as you stumble upon it via the "radio play" approach. What a great cross-sell approach. Apple gets a steady stream of subscription fees, plus people might be more inclined to purchase-to-own as they hear things on the spot. I know I would.

Where it might fall apart is the iPod thing. I'm not a big fan of expiring music. Maybe others are fine with it.

Also, I hear more and more people grumbling over the issue of the fact that the 99 cent per song and $10 per album isn't exactly true across the board. Especially the PC people seem to complain about this. I can't say I blame them. I try to remind them it was never about price. It was never about quality. ITMS is about convenience.

soulseek said:
allready there, turn on personal file sharing, go to someone elses music folder in Home, and get all his music without havin iTunes open.

the good with iTunes sharing is that u can also select which playlists to share; it just makes things easier.

and anyways, How would ur proposal be a NEW feature to iTunes 5, if ud want it closed ?

That's not a good option IMO because it's not as easy as having the playlist show up in iTunes. It'd be good to have a person's shared playlist show up regardless of whether iTunes is open or not. This would have to be a separate background program running, but that's better than having iTunes open all the time.

It'd be a new feature of iTunes because you are sharing your iTunes playlists.

It would be good to be able to choose who can access my playlist.

It would be good to access a database of CD artwork at the same time one loads the CD track name when ripping a CD.

It would be good to have the video equivalent to iTunes (with a TeraByte hard disk, of course).

You can turn iTunes into a background application by hiding it. ;-) You don't have to always show it in the front, you know? ;-) ... Yeah, I know what you mean, but it really isn't needed that much. And afaik iTunes 4 doesn't use that many cycles in the background, anyway.

Smart file relinking... say if i selcet one to relink, it sees others, and .... they're done.

Next song fade in, when you click next, instead of a sudden jump to the next track, it fades in, obviously that would be optional.

A DJ setup, where i can cue another song while another plays, via a headphone sampler USB device or something, would make iTunes great for that wanna be DJ.

Menu bar support, I use an older FREE version of M-Beat that i skinned, looks good, but not enough features.

A way to remove duplicate tracks, and not have tracks i click to open that are not in any of my playlist be included in my Library. I have a lot of songs in my library that either is a duplicate, or some other track, wasting space and giving me incorrect file count.

Optimize the play list, go in clean up, fresh new file, which will be smaller is size.

Less CPU usage

I guess thats all for now.

I want it to eat much less CPU time and to finally abolish that hideous gap between tracks issue that has plagued the program for so long.

Now that I've said it, I've jinxed it from ever happening. ;)

I would love sound check to be able to adjust volume by album instead of by song.
Also I want to be able to turn off albums like you can with songs by unchecking them.

Urbansory said:
A DJ setup, where i can cue another song while another plays, via a headphone sampler USB device or something, would make iTunes great for that wanna be DJ.

A way to remove duplicate tracks, and not have tracks i click to open that are not in any of my playlist be included in my Library. I have a lot of songs in my library that either is a duplicate, or some other track, wasting space and giving me incorrect file count.

I see djs using other applications .. just like they use (and used) differnt turtables than 99 % of the people, or differnt cd players than the majority of people, it would not have to be that their needs for the itunes are the same as the standard population.

Maybe an iTunes Pro. With faders, .. a lot of other options .. ot just _an other_ application. DJing, I would not probably be satisfied even with a few extra features.. I'd want a bunch of them, and I doubt if an application had all those it would be called iTunes any more. The DJ program has a different market - and the program can cost (a lot more than a non-dj user is willing to pay) if it is really good.

Removing dupliicates.. done that. Manually. Pain in the apple. I removed everything that was duplicated (I tried some scripts that would have done that too but were dumb) and as well trashed all the music that I don't like any more, reducing the size from 30 GB to 20 GB .. I think I still would not want that automated. _maybe_ an option GUESS the duplicates (by hte eay they sound) .. of all collection? If there is a Artist 1 - Track 1 - Album 1 and that is identical to an artist, track and album with a real name, the old fashioned figuring it is a duplicated does not work.

i would like to be able to rate with half stars instead of just whole. that would make for more interesting, and exact, ratings.

Have better visual effects at a higher resolution, be able to share music with OS 9 computers and have the ability to remove music from your iPod without deleting music from your iTunes library.

chevy said:
It would be good to be able to choose who can access my playlist.

It would be good to access a database of CD artwork at the same time one loads the CD track name when ripping a CD.

It would be good to have the video equivalent to iTunes (with a TeraByte hard disk, of course).

I would also like to see somthing like that. Imagin, while ripping one of your cds iTunes locates the appropriate artwork and video clip to play later. Then say you have a party and all you do is insert your iPod into its dock which is some how linked to your tv/projector and you have all your favourite songs on random playing all your video clips.

I would love to see a DJ style plugin for iTunes, I think that sounds great. Of course it would have to be a high quality software plugin (There are a few great candidates out there but few are solid performers).

I dont think that paid radio service is a great idea. Radio should always remain free. Imagine that radio stations were to adopt a pay to listen model. They will quickly loose a large number of listeners.

There are many great features they can add to iTunes. The ability to share music with users on the same computer. They can also bring back the share over the internet feature. I have 20,000 songs in my library. Thats almost 100Gigs of music that I would love to access while at work or even when i'm on the road. The reality is that I just cant because a few people decided to ruin this for the rest of us. Im sure Apple can add this feature again simply by forcing a user to authenticate with their ITMS ID. Or some other method!

The album art feature is great but it could be automated just like track names is. The album art should be available automatically on iPhoto in a special Album. And when the album art is needed for other purposes you may search for it there. BPM and lyrics should be included when buying a song from ITMS, although not necessary it would cool though.

There are a few music video libraries on the web (Yahoo, Rolling Stone). It would be nice to make a deal with either and when you buy a single from ITMS there should be a link to the music video. And have an option to play the video as a visualization.

iTunes is a great peice of software that can be improved even further. But the truth is that it does what it needs to. And it does it well.

Improved CD-ripping, which is, to me, unusable at present.

And a HUGE "here, here" to the person who suggested auto-removing of duplicates.

When Switching my music from my PC to my new Powerbook, I added some of my songs manually, before remembering the add files option within iTunes. I used it, and it proceeded to leave me with hundreds of duplicate files. I ended up having to delete the whole list and reimport them all - removing all the ratings of the music I had.

It would have been nice if it could have just told me "You're copying duplicate files. Do you want to keep your ratings?" or something...

It infuriated me.

How about a quick edit function to trim the edges of a file. Yes i know his can already be done, but it would be nice to do it visually through a waveform.

Back