iTunes 7

iTunes 7 crashed on my Windows comp. and feels pretty sluggish. All of my tag data was changed back from what I had it in iTunes 6 and I now have duplicates of almost every song, including those bought from the iTunes store. I'm not sure if this is an isolated thing or if this is widespread, but it's worth noting. I'm sure it'll be worked out, but right now it feels a bit like a beta. Also, I kinda like the blue music note instead of the green.

Aaah... Where's the explanation for the "*"? I'm neurotic, I know, but I always look entire pages through for explanations where there's an asterisk*!!

*Asterisks point to a small print explanation, usually. If there's an asterisk in text and _no_ explanation at the bottom, I feel missing-linked... ;)

LOL, actually it seems to be a bug in Safari 3.0 when I put 2 spaces after a period it puts an asterisk in place of one of them. I'm going back to Tiger full time now so I shouldn't have any more asterisks :)

It seems like as iTunes is extended to manage all media instead of just music, it's going the same way QuickTime Player went 5-8 years ago (I forget exactly). Back when QuickTime 4 came out, Apple created brushed metal, which was completely non-standard and unprecedented. The entire QuickTime Player interface was a hacky and out of place.

That was in OS 8, though. In OS X, non-standard interfaces are not only precedented, they're pretty much the norm. See Dashboard. And iTunes 5-6.

Again, it looks like Apple wants to make their multimedia center look like a physical multimedia center instead of a regular program. Brushed metal doesn't cut it anymore, since they've bastardized it to the degree where it's used for web browsers, calculators, and just about everything under the sun. The non-standard interface has become standard, so they're making a NEW non-standard interface.

And the new non-standard interface will probably become standard in time, too.

My reaction to iTunes 7 is unusual. My first impression was good, but the more I use it, the less I like it. I really do hate inconsistency. But I guess I've become desensitized to it when it comes to iTunes. I think only iTunes 4 used a completely standard appearance (and even if was slightly different, due to its Carbon nature).

Also, I see iTunes 7 as being a step towards Leopard and Apple's new design philosophy. Apple has been dropping conventional interfaces gradually for years, and Leopard seems to take that one step further with bizarre, high-animation interfaces like Time Machine. iTunes 7 seems to be in line with that philosophy, along with Front Row. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, really, but I do think there's some level of consistency in the move, and I appreciate that.

I'll chime in just to temper the negative vibe.

I find the icon change irrelevant and minor and have no idea why people are so obsessed with it.

The overall look of iTunes is also only minorly revised and basically looks and works as it always has, which its a good thing.

Cover Flow is wonderful eye candy, nice touch.

It's all good to me, but then I don't use iTunes much (or in any kind of advanced way) so I'm not into the subtleties.

I have iTunes 7 on my powerbook, but i have not been impressed enough with any itunes upgrades since 4.0.

Still running 4.0 on my powermac, which is my main computer.

I just realized that they've over-emphasized the store in the sidebar. It now takes at least 4x more screen real estate than it did in iTunes 6. Before, it had one item, which could be expanded to show more. Now it shows three items, plus a header, which are always visible, plus gaps on the top and bottom to separate it from the other sections. So apparently Apple feels their store should be more prominent than my playlists. Hrm...

Well, there is one way to reclaim the space: I can disable the store entirely, which is exactly what I've now done. I don't like that, because I do normally visit the store every couple weeks, but...I'm not going to have a feature I only use every couple weeks be that prominent.

I think Apple just lost me as an iTunes Store visitor. I'll still peek in now and then, but I'm not going to go in casually anymore.

I cannot believe how they butchered iTunes 6, 7's interface and Dock icon look horrible.

Overall after a day of thorough testing, I'm *very* happy with this iTunes update. I did have to send in one bug report: the browse view doesn't refresh if a search is cleared with the "snapback: view currently playing song in library" button.

There are two things in there that they've added that I am very happy about, and neither of them are widely touted features. The first is that I can *finally* set the "Skip while shuffling" option on multiple tracks in one hit. For those of us whose iTunes contains a hundred or so speeches, radio plays and interviews as well as music, then this is a much-needed addition. The second is "Skip count" and "Last skipped" fields. These don't seem to work flawlessly, but they do help a lot.

Is there a trick to getting the album covers to download? i have turned it on in my preferences but none of my album artwork is being updated. Now some of the music there wasn't purchased from itunes or ripped from the original CD but even those ones arent showing up?

Am i missing something?

Did anybody try to transfer music between two or more computers using iPod? For some reason I was only able to transfer music purchased from iTunes store and not my other mp3 files.

EDIT: Where the FAWK is my fracking equalizer?!

Dude, amen! They changed command + 2 to be a view function and now you have to go to a menu item to change the eq. STUPID CHANGE APPLE!

Otherwise, the album searching is pretty cool, if only I could load all my album pics instead of just the ones I bought on the iTunes store. Argh.

Is there a trick to getting the album covers to download? i have turned it on in my preferences but none of my album artwork is being updated. Now some of the music there wasn't purchased from itunes or ripped from the original CD but even those ones arent showing up?

Am i missing something?

seconded

It actually takes a while to load them. I noticed that a few days ago I set iTunes to download album art for all of my CDs... now, three days later, more than half of my CDs have album art, while others are showing up day by day.

Apple should look into this.

Hi, this is my first ever posting, so here goes...
I recently upgraded to itunes7. Everything was going well until I tried to put a song I purchased on itunes onto an imovie. I kept getting the 'this machine is unauthorized' message. So I authorised it, even got a successful authorization message, but guess what? It still says my machine isn't authorised. So then I deauthorised all my machines (all two of tem!). Then re-authorized. Same damn message. Can anyone help? Jon.

Getting the album covers seems to be very sensitive to the tags for artist, year, etc. If you can find the album in the iTunes Store, match up the tags and it should go. (Slow process, I know...) Sometimes I had to request the album art multiple times before iTunes actually did so, but eventually I got all of the album art.

I also put the album's iTunes-Store URL in each track's comment field. I don't think that helps find the album art, but it couldn't hurt. You can grab the URL by right clicking on the album cover in the iTunes Store.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/minck/itunes.html

Hi, this is my first ever posting, so here goes...
I recently upgraded to itunes7. Everything was going well until I tried to put a song I purchased on itunes onto an imovie. I kept getting the 'this machine is unauthorized' message. So I authorised it, even got a successful authorization message, but guess what? It still says my machine isn't authorised. So then I deauthorised all my machines (all two of tem!). Then re-authorized. Same damn message. Can anyone help? Jon.
Jon, Welcome! I hope you get a better answer, but if worse comes to worst, you might try software like Audio Hijack (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/).

Back