iTunes adds ID3 tags to AIF files?

phatcactus

The Ugly Organist
Howdy kids. I've always been quite bothered by the fact that crazy ol' iTunes adds ID3 tags to the AIF files I encode. Is there any way to erase them all? is there a way to keep them from showing up at all? Are AIFs even supposed to have tags?

Many thanks.

- Brian

I was just bothered by this problem once again and decided to search around here to see if anyone had any info on this problem.

This is what I found. :)

Anyone?

- Brian

First of all I think that iTunes keeps the file info in a database that contains info on every file it has played encoded or added to the Library, because otherwise iTunes would have to extract the tags out of x.000 files on startup.
Besides, iTunes remembers info on non writeables (like CDs).
With MP3s (and maybe other filetypes) it also writes the tags into the file itself.

I don't think Apple would write tags into a file if the file specs don't allow it (and break these kind of standards), but I don't know whether .aiff files have tags or not.

I could of course be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that iTunes writes tags into AIFF files, and I'm not sure if it's kosher or not, but I cooked up a perl script to go through my AIFF collection and convert them all to AIFF with a command line program called sox. No more tags. :)

Nice learning experience. :)

- Brian

Back