iTunes and 4000 songs ARGH!!!

cbmeeks

Registered
I have about 4000 mp3 files in my collection.

Last night, I decided to add all 4000 of them to the library of iTunes and create playlists.

Well, iTunes keeps trying to "determine volume" or something to ALL 4000 SONGS!!

It is locking the computer up because it would literally take weeks to do (I let it run for about 2 hours and it wasn't even past 200 songs).

Is there anyway I can turn that thing off?

Thanks

cbmeeks

Unchecking the "Sound Check" box under the Audio section of the iTunes Preferences ought to do it. Then quit & reload iTunes, because it won't stop if it's already in progress (at least in my experience; it's a bit buggy).

Thanks...I already tried that but it doesn't work. :-(

How do you guys add all of your songs into your library?

The xml file for my iTunes is like 4 megs...lol

cbmeeks

If you want to leave the music files wherever they currently are, try deselecting the option "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the Advanced portion of iTunes' Preferences - that should cut down time, as it isn't copying the music over.

You can also try turning off the option "Keep iTunes Music folder organized." That might speed it up by a little, though I'm not sure it would be very much help.

i did the same yesterday i i just clicked on the x in the LED to stope the stupid volume-thingy. then unchecked the check volume. and it never tried to do that agin.

Darkshadow said:
If you want to leave the music files wherever they currently are, try deselecting the option "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the Advanced portion of iTunes' Preferences - that should cut down time, as it isn't copying the music over.

You can also try turning off the option "Keep iTunes Music folder organized." That might speed it up by a little, though I'm not sure it would be very much help.

Thanks. Already did that because my mp3 files are almost 16 gigs...lol

Decado said:
i did the same yesterday i i just clicked on the x in the LED to stope the stupid volume-thingy. then unchecked the check volume. and it never tried to do that agin.

Yeah, that has worked...but for forever. I would click the X and it would stop doing it...until I closed iTunes and re-opened it. Also, sometimes it didn't matter how fast I was, I wasn't able to get to the X before it started doing it.

So, looks like it is going to do it no matter what!

I did find a solution.

I removed all of the songs from my library. Now, I am adding them one folder at a time and letting it do its thing.

Only problem is that I have 732 folders! So, it will take a while but I can live with it.

-cbmeeks

Sounds slow. I have more than 9,000 and it only took a couple of hours to sound check them all.

I have a bit over 16,000 songs and it only took a few hours to check the volume on them. if you unchecked the option in the prefs and also clicked on the X in the display when it was doing it and it did not help, then there might be something weird happening with itunes. try to trash the prefs file or log in as a different user and add them.

well, I noticed it would hang on a particular song (not the same all the time).

So, I might try trashing the pref file...thanks again

cbmeeks

i have found that itunes doesn't handle volumes of files at once very well, and in most cases locks up. so adding folders one (or two) at a time works great. i have 5306 now at 18.59 gig (13.9 days! ). of couse that is on my windows verion of itunes. my mac is not on par to handle anywhere that much.

Back