iTunes and music management

airdesign

Registered
Hey guys,

Sorry to ask such an elementary question (i'm assuming). I am still quite new to mac, and still haven't got my head around how itunes and my music collection are working.

Before, with Windows, I put all of my songs in 'My Music' and 'My Sounds' folders, and setup Windows Media Player to scan those folders and index them in the WPM Library. It worked well; all was fine.

In iTunes, though:
* there seems to be no automatic importing of music folders
* when i manually import a song (usually by just 'open'ing it in itunes) itunes copies the music somewhere else
* where does it copy? /user/music/itunes, right?
* why does it copy? does it change format?
* can i delete the old copy of the music files?
* if i do delete them, is the new format DRM'd? why does it change format?!

Sorry that I have so many questions and am still muddled, but my music collection is really important to me so I have to sort this out! :)

Hi airdesign! To import a whole folder of music just select "Add to library" from the File menu in iTunes and select the folder you want, instead of individual files. When you click on "Open" it will import all the music in that folder. Read the next bit though before you do that.

By default iTunes copies all the files you import into its own file structure (the iTunes folder in your Music folder), but you can change this in the iTunes Preferences ("Preferences" in the iTunes menu). Go to the Advanced tab and deselect "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

Back