iTunes and OGG not happy :(

burntoutjoy

Registered
Ok, i got the OGG plugin/component/whatever for QuickTime from the by-now-probably-well-known http://www.illadvised.com/~jordy/ . All is well in Quicktime, but when i use iTunes to play OGGs, there appear little gaps in the music, like someone's censoring out all the naughty words! Quicktime had nowt of these problems and works fine. I've also downloades the Ogg component from http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/ which seems to be much the same thing, but in a different file format. Indeed, the same thing happens. I'm running OS 10.2.3 on a latest-release iBook, so that means the latest release of iTunes as well.
What is happening? I want to use iTunes, i quite like it!
thanks

If you download the newest update from apple, as of today(12-25-02) you'll see that iTunes now supports OGG. I haven't tried it, but i just read about it on slashdot.

Originally posted by imbrokn
If you download the newest update from apple, as of today(12-25-02) you'll see that iTunes now supports OGG. I haven't tried it, but i just read about it on slashdot.

The poster at Slashdot was mistaken... He reinstalled the iTunes 3.0.1 update from SW Updater and installed the QT Oggs components - which is what allowed him to play the Ogg files (not iTunes, but the installed QT component).

Equivalent to MP3 but free. A Linux thing if I recall well.

Why don't you just convert those OGGs ?

Originally posted by toast
Equivalent to MP3 but free. A Linux thing if I recall well.

Why don't you just convert those OGGs ?

Not a linux thing!!! (oh dear)
OGG is 'just' another audio compression format. It's just that it happens to produce smaller files than MP3 for the same (or sometimes higher) quality, and is completely free of patents, royalties and other stuff.
Have a look here for anything i've missed...

That then reveals why I wouldn't want to use MP3s.
Conversion between the two formats would be messy, because they use incompatable compression types. You'd probably end up compressing an already compressed stream, the result of which wouldnt sound too good.

Back