iTunes, and remote mp3 - help!

Hey! Right! I have an iBook with a 10Gb hard disc. Now, i don't like to have a lot of mp3's on there, as it can soon take over the whole disc. But i also have a Windows XP PC, with 10Gb + of mp3's on. In the past, i've mounted my XP share, to my iBook desktop, and dragged all my mp3's into iTunes (with auto sort off, so it will play the media from where-ever it lies, not copy it to the iTunes Folder!). the only problem is, when i'm NOT connected to my XP Machine, my iTunes library is 9/10th full of dead links to audio!

is it possible to have 2 libraries!? ... so i could have one local, and one remote (xp mp3's) ?

any other suggestions!?

Thanks!

NeYo

I believe this is possible, there are apps in version tracker that let you have multiple iTunes libraries (similar to the iPhoto apps that do the same). You should be able to use these to switch between a local and remote library.

or, you could have two playlists (a local playlist and a remote playlist) and never use the overall iTunes library

Hey man! I've got "somewhere". I downloaded iTunes Library Manager, and now i can have mulitple libraries, altho you need to use the 3rd party app to switch between them, this is what i was after. The only way it could be improved, was if iTunes listed two libraries in the left hand column! but NEVERMIND! that'll do for now! ...until iTunes 4 is released and ruins it for me! :(

thanks mate, appreciate ya help!

Neyo

The other thing you could do is simply put all your local mp3's in a playlist called "Local" or something. That'd make it easy to play just local music, but you'd still need to clear out dead links once in a while.

Back