iTunes and remote volumes

Eid

Registered
It is very easy to use iTunes to play songs on a remote files system, by just mounting that volume and adding the songs to your library. If you then set your iTunes Music Folder to that remote volume, anything you add will obviously be copied to the shared location.

One problem I have had with this, however is if the remote machine is not available iTunes will put an exclamation mark next to the song title, and refuse to play it, until you double click on that song (which seems to force iTunes to recheck that song)

Naturally if the remote HD is not available iTunes will soom through all your songs marking them ALL as unavailable! So what I am wandering is if anyone knows how to get iTunes to rescan ALL its library?

Cheers, Ben

You don't need to rescan the library. As soon as iTunes has access to the remote volume again, you can select any of these songs and it will play.

Originally posted by symphonix
You don't need to rescan the library. As soon as iTunes has access to the remote volume again, you can select any of these songs and it will play.

Yeah, but if there are several files thoughout the library, I dont want to have to click on on each of them.

Ben

Why would you need to click on them? If the file is available, it will play. If it isn't, it won't.

Perhaps if you read the (!) symbol as meaning 'I didn't find this last time I tried it' rather than 'it isn't there' then it might put your mind at ease.

if itunes fails to find a file, it will mark it with a question mark and not select it when playing songs. it will either skip the song (if you are not shuffling) or not select it for shuffling.

There are applications that let you have multiple itunes libraries (check versiontracker.com). Use this apps to create 2 itunes libraries: one for your local songs and another for hte songs in the remote volume. after this, make sure to select the correct library before launching itunes.

Back