iTunes, Build 7B21, and my 3rd Generation iPod

VanillaIcee

Registered
iTunes works fine with local music. However, when I plug in my iPod (or startup iTunes with my iPod connected) I'll see the iPod in the "Source" dock on the left and then iTunes will crash. The following error occurs:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000001

Thread 0 Crashed:
#0 0x91610fec in Stretch32Src (Stretch32Src + 40)

Does anyone know what's going wrong. Can you post if you get this error or if you have the same iPod and the error doesn't occur.

Also I'm running iPod Software 2.0.1 and I can't get the iPod Software 2.0.1 Updater utility to "Restore" my iPod. Instead I get a spinning beachball and nothing happens. Does anyone have any advice concerning this?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem with my 2nd gen. iPod 10G (the iTunes crashing). I suppose there's going to be a bug fix in one of the next builds of Panther.

Apparently, Apple has posted release notes for MOSXS 7B20 that note FireWire not working at all. Maybe that bug was not entirely fixed for MOSX 7B21, either.

i had probs with my firewire scanner in both builds of panther...

btw im now back on jag ;)

Can't go back to Jag, really. Too many things too good in Panther for me. I'm waiting for a future build to solve my two (!*) problems.
(* Yep, two only. iTunes-iPod synching and InDesign crashing on startup. Everything else is working or has gotten a replacement solution.)

Yup I have the same problem.. Hopefully even a minor 10mb update trough Software Update will fix it..

Same problem here as well.

Mac OS X 10.3 7B21
iTunes v4.0.1 (117)
3rd Gen iPod 10 GB; iPod Software version 2.0.1

Originally posted by fryke
Can't go back to Jag, really. Too many things too good in Panther for me.

Same here. Panther is just too fast and responsive to go back to Jaguar, despite a few problems:

1. Firewire access, such as the iPod problem
2. Minimizing finder windows
3. XCode text problems

I hope that Apple seeds me another build.

Why would Apple suddenly stop seeding you? Either you _have_ access to the builds or not. There's nothing much between it... ;-)

Originally posted by fryke
Why would Apple suddenly stop seeding you? Either you _have_ access to the builds or not. There's nothing much between it... ;-)

I meant if they stopped seeding to general ADC members like they did in the past, keeping development internal except for those few large companies which I don't work for.

I find that it works occasionally (75-80% of the time) if I open iTunes w/o the iPod, click the green "Zoom" button, and THEN plug in my 'Pod (2nd Generation 10GB). I don't know if this is a FireWire bug or an iPod recognition issue or something else, but I haven't had problems reading discs with my FireWire CDRW (haven't burned since WWDC Build).

Back