iTunes costs $49.00

solrac

Mac Ninja
As you readers may know, my iTunes is broken. You simply cannot add songs to the library.

I tried everything. Please don't suggest any solutions because I tried everything and it's already solved now.

But I had to call Apple for help, and they charged me $49 for the tech support, since my one year warranty is over. I cannot buy Apple Care either.... you can only buy that during your one year warranty. No one ever told me that!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I gave up and said "OK, charge me $49, cuz I can't figure this out and neither can anyone else on macosx.com or apple discussion forums...."

So we went through a bunch of shit and finally came to the conclusion that iTunes3 cannot work properly as root user.

So the only solution is to move everything over to a regular user.

I've been running as root since public beta. Never had a problem. Until iTunes3.

So iTunes3 costed me $49 PLUS forces me to (finally) abandon using root as my main account, AND the convert song files to MP3 is hidden (only can show command by holding option key) AND now I think it just sucks.

Yes, iTunes3 SUCKS.

But it's still cool..... sigh.

-Carlos-
(FOR SURE PIRATING 10.2!!!!)

So we went through a bunch of shit and finally came to the conclusion that iTunes3 cannot work properly as root user.

So the only solution is to move everything over to a regular user.

I've been running as root since public beta.
Blame yourself, then.

Originally posted by nichrome
Blame yourself, then.
I have to agree.. you shouldn't be running as root anyways because the root account is so uniquely different from regular user's accounts.. things like root's home directory is /root whereas all other users are in /Users/username. Root doesn't have it's own ~/Library and ~/Preferences. There's a reason (several actually) that Apple doesn't have root turned on by default.

It is your own fault.. your likely to get little sympathy here..

Maybe a _little_ sympathy for the fact that the Mac has always been so simple that we could savely assume that Apple wanting you _not_ to be root was just a little warning that could well be ignored. But then again: No, you should never work as root on a UN*X system. Use sudo or su for the tasks where you actually need to be root.

But all the same: I think Apple's support should be free even after the warranty. Charging 49$ for the fact that Apple's software is flawed (iTunes _should_ run okay from root user, shouldn't it? No reason not to, unless you say sys admins shouldn't listen to music while at work...) is too much.

I sympathize with you for being forced out of how you prefer to work, so I won't chime in with, "You shouldn't be running as root anyway."

Oh wait. I just did. Sorry.

-Rob

Originally posted by solrac

I've been running as root since public beta. Never had a problem. Until iTunes3.

Just be glad it only cost you $49 to find out that its a very bad idea to run as root.

Oh and why were you running as root again? Enabling admin privs on a user account will give you just about all the normal, every day, things you need root for; for the rest there's sudo.

Isn't it also kinda dangerous to operate as root all the time, because... well, either somebody could hack your computer more easily, or you're giving extra priveleges to a virus (if any Mac OS X ones do, in fact, exist)... or am I just being dumb?

You've hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

If you are running as root, then all your apps are running as root. If any of them have a flaw, the whole comp can be effected.

What do you mean it stops you working they way you want! If you follow standard installation of Mac OS X then you would have had a proper account with admin capability without all of the root crap. In fact you wouldn't even be aware of root.

On a day to day basis you should never see any difference between the two. Logging in as root is very dangerous, I'm a UNIX developer of old (mainly Solaris & HP-UX) and the first thing you learn to use is 'sudo'. Lets you do root things without having to log in as root.

Even in the UNIX world, mainy apps are developed so that they will refuse to run under root, or they will at least give a warning. Shame he charged you $45. Software support should be free as long as you always have the current version of the OS.

regards
John.

solrac, you should retitle this thread "iTunes cost ME 49 bucks".

it's a well-known fact that running as root is a bad idea.

root does have its own ~/library and ~/preferences so whoever said it didn't is wrong.

I've been using root since public beta with no problems.

The reason I did it is because early Mac OS X was unusable without running as root. (Sometimes you could not even drag your own text file to the trash!! -- permission denied)

Anyway, there is NO reason whatsoever iTunes 3 should not function under root.

The way I see it, iTunes 3 is flawed and I paid $49 to figure it out, and also forced myself to move over to a regular admin user, and I know the root password so I can use sudo.

So it was a good thing all in all... but iTunes 3 does have the most BS associated with any program I've seen in a long time...

Now THERE's something I can agree with. iTunes 3 is not only a step forward in features, it's also a step backwards in some ways. I also hate that the installer wants me to reboot the machine and things like that. I think it's also clear why you're pissed off, iTunes costing you 49 bucks and all.

But I guess you'll agree that Apple clearly intended a Mac OS X user *never* to use the root account, not even to activate it.

Off topic, but wow do you delete a whole folder WITH stuff inside using the sudo command?

sudo rm -rf foldername

friend of mine says 'rf' stands for 'rapid fire', but it's really 'recursive' and 'force'. :)

Back