iTunes damaged

Spakman

Registered
As the original HD in my 15" MBP was full, I decided to move my iTunes media files to an external drive. No problem. Worked fine. I tried last night to move the files back after installing a new 500 gb drive. No joy. I now have an iTunes application full of all my music, but none of the songs are accessible. "iTunes cannot find file". I guess I've corrupted some xml file that contained paths to each song file. Is there any way to fix this other than deleting the entire thing and reimporting all songs?

I've researched Senuti as a way to move music from a 160 gb ipod back to my primary drive. If I were to go this route, would I delete the contents of the itunes media folder and have Senuti copy all the files back?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Well, I managed to get iTunes working from the external drive again, so at least I can use the application. i'm still mystified, however about how to correctly migrate iTunes from the external drive back to the internal drive on the laptop. This seems more difficult than it should be.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

Basically:

1. Select the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checkbox in Prefs.
2. Click the Change button in the iTunes Media folder location pane and pick the new folder you want your music to be stored in.
3. From the File menu, choose Library and then Organize Library if using iTunes 9 or later. If you're using iTunes 7 or iTunes 8 for Mac, choose File > Library and then Consolidate Library.
4. In the Organize Library (or Consolidate Library) window, select Consolidate files.
5. Important: This action copies all of your music and media files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your music and media files.
6. Let it copy, Quit iTunes and then open iTunes once more.
7. Disconnect your external, and viola!

Back