iTunes Destination Folder Reverts to Default

qwikstreet

OS X Friendly
Recently I bought a WD UBB HD to store my music on. I've moved everything over and works great. However, I noticed one night after ripping some of my CDs that they were going back to the default iTunes folder. I'm suspecting that this may be happening if I open iTunes before the HD mounts. Is this true?

Is there a way to prevent iTunes from doing this? Or a prompt alerting me that it can't find the USB device and if it should revert to the default.

Also, how can I easily move the music over to my USB HD. Can I just do Consolidate Library and not worry about losing anything?

Whenever you disconnect the hard drive and start up iTunes, the default folder will be your computer's hard drive, your user account and your music folder. You can change this in Advanced, but again, this will revert if iTunes can't find the external hard drive. No way to fix it, really.

An easy way to move all your music over is to copy your itunes music folder over from your computer to the hard drive.

I believe If you consolidate it will move everything to your music folder and organize it all. Anything in iTunes that isn't inside the music will be put there.

Back