iTunes Dies.... For Some

i am having something similar (only not as bad)
there are several select few songs that decide to crash on the on-line store and in my library :-\

"Some in the discussion forum said the problems followed shortly after they installed an update to Windows XP Service Pack 2. "

Hmmmm...

Hm... Is it Microsoft's fault (and would they pay back the users who complain?) or Apple's (and would _they_ pay back the users who complain?)? ... Interesting. And bad for Apple, anyway.

iTunes 4.7 for windows seems to have an auful lot of trouble. I for one lost the ability to read data CD's after I upgraded, still haven't got it back yet (every audio cd works perfect). My Mom had the same problem but was able to fix it by uninstalling other burning software. I am not so fortunate.

Maybe it's Apple's plan to fight back. Remember how Microsoft tried to always kick out QuickTime when you upgraded Windows Media Player on Windows? Now Apple's sneaking in, destroying stuff like Data CD readability... ;) Nah, I guess not... But Apple, if it wants to be big in Windows software, must learn to live with the quirks of that system and the multitude of possible configurations (CD-burners, CD-burning software, various Windows service pack states etc., antiviral software that sometimes works _against_ the user's wishes...). Yes, that _does_ cost development hours. But bad software on Windows from Apple doesn't invite people to check out a Mac, really, even if they could blame Microsoft for part of the problems...

"By Monday, more than three dozen users were complaining about the problem in Apple's online forum."
and
"Apple has sold more than 200 million songs from its site."

40 people ... of 200,000,000 sold songs?

Well, first the ones complaining are of _course_ not all of the ones who actually have a problem. Many might a) not know that iTunes is at fault or b) just don't complain on the 'net.

And then: You don't really think that per song there's one buyer on a Windows machine, right?

I'm not saying it's a biiiiiiiig problem, but you certainly don't want to pay for songs you can't download for one thing, and you certainly don't want iTunes to kill other things like the _reading_ of data CDs... (which sounds like iTunes on Windows overwrites some important shared libraries to me...).

Back