iTunes encoding quality

Best overall (quality v. size balanced) bit-rate is ...

• 128kbps

• 160kbps

• 192kbps

• higher than 192kbps

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by mindbend
Paragon...what possible humanly justification could there be to drop $1,400 on a CD player?

...well if you are into music as much as I am you really want something sounding good. I know it's a lot of money but I can't say that I've regretted it for a day. I guess people spend their money differently, for example I don't have a car I use a bike. I think spending $20.000 on a car is redicules, but that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
My stereo system:
High-end Philips (Made in Denmark) purchased 10 years ago from Paragon Sound in Toledo OH.

...I didn't know that Denmark made Philips? Do you mean assembled in Denmark? I know B&O is mostly Philips.

Originally posted by Paragon

...I didn't know that Denmark made Philips? Do you mean assembled in Denmark? I know B&O is mostly Philips.

Yes, the stereo system was MADE in Denmark. I opened up the CD player. The CD player circuit board was made in Denmark, as was the DCC Player.

Paraong,

I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I think it's cool you have a great system. I do find it ironaic though that you can drop god knows how much $ on the system, but you're encoding at only 160! I'm sure it sounds just fine, but if "just fine" were all you were looking for, a $99 CD player would do.

;)

Actually I don't have that many mp3's, but the ones that I do have I play over my stereo. I buy my cd's instead because I think that it has superior quality. I don't do much encoding and usually it's just for checking the cd out before I buy it...or not. ;)

I will say though that it's not necessary to encode at a higher quality because of the small cable that is hooked into the mac, I wouldn't even be able to hear the sound improvement.

Originally posted by kilowatt
Tubes are better for listening to vintage music because:

4) Nuclear-blast resistance. In the event of an EMP from a nuke, most anything that relies on silicon as an electrical semiconductor will become useless. So if we get nuked, I'm gona crank up the music.. because I can!

Haha, but not really. You'll have to replace the switches, and your power supply as well as find a rather LARGE reliable source of power. But really tubes are much more efficient, especially at high power. They just have no life and are expensive to make.

But back to the subject. Since the only thing I have is a Sony Clie with an MP3 player and the max memory stick is 128 MBytes, I've had to settle with 160Kbps. A 10:06 song (Symphony No. 29 A-Major K#2) takes about 11855 KBytes and allows me to fit 13 songs (~8min/song) on there with about 10 MBytes left. Of course the only thing I listen to them with are the Sony supplied headphones so I don't know how really good the songs actually do sound. Kinda like my Mac, whenever somebody complains how slow OS X is I wouldn't know because I've never seen it run on anything faster....:D

Back