iTunes failing to notice iPod... yet Mac OS X identifies it as an iPod...

Convert

Tech
Mac OS X 10.4.2
iTunes 4.9

iPod Photo 40GB HD
1.2 software (latest)

For some reason, my iPod is instantly recognised by the Finder (as an iPod, with the iPod icon) but iTunes does not pick it up. Anyone know why?

Thanks.

Try doing all the basic resets on the iPod, but not the one that erases the entire drive, since you may not get it back. If it still doesn't work, turn it off and unplug it. Next, take the iPod and hold it to your ear [no, really] and turn it on. If you hear a persistent clicking for a few seconds, the problem is with the disk initializing. That's what happened to mine.

The Apple Store diagnosed it for me. The repair cost was $265, but I had AMEX protection, so they bought me a new one!! If this is a G3 you can try to send it back under the battery recall program. They'll probably just swap it for a refurbished one, not replace the battery and send back the exact same machine. Since AMEX let me keep the old one, that's what I'll do with it.

But if your's isn't covered by the recall I still want to try a full reset [hoses all the files] before I send it in. I'll try to remember to let you know what happens.

Back