iTunes file association problem

Neal Colingham

Registered
I just swapped out my 60gig drive with an 80gid and reinstalled panther
I used CCC too clone the drive and then reinstalled with an archive.
System runs fine but all 16gigs of iTunes songs are not found so I have to go through each song and redirect iTunes as to where the song resides. The appliction has the right path but it can't play the song until I reassociate it. This is bull^&%$ so I am asking is there an easier way to fix this problem ?. Ths drive name that the iTunes library is on is the same name as before and I have repaired permissions.

Just take the folder that all the music files are in and drag it into the iTunes playlist bar? Make sure you have "don't move music when imported" checked though...
It's wierd that that happened to you - I did that same thing only I used psync (basically the same as CCC) and it worked just fine.
Also check if you have all these files in your ~/Library/Music/iTunes/ directory:
  • iTunes 4 Music Library
  • iTunes 4 Music Library.xml
Because those are the files that tell iTunes where you have the files stored.

Hey Mr. K, I am 100% over my head on this, but isn't there some option in CCC that lets you use psync to synchronize? I never understood what this is about between the two apps or what exactly it does, so I didn't mess with it, but would it help in any way avoid Neal's problem from using CCC?

My son fixed the problem but he did it so fast that I will post an update when I understand the steps. I had called Apple today (for free Panther still under warranty) and the tech said I was the 2'nd person in 2 days to have this problem she says she thinks it's a Panther bug.

Back