Itunes Freezes Importing Songs

robbbb

Registered
All is not well with my System, Hard Drive, User files, Permissions, etc. But what really bugs me is not being able to hear my music!

I recently had a major system crash. I had to reinstall my system and then I had trouble getting the old files and settings (which were still there) to load on my new setup. (I had used a different User Name when I reinstalled, so the primary admin account wasn't in line with the one which I actually wanted to use.) These things are still not all A-OK.

But, I figure that at this point I will concentrate on fixing the little problems individually. I have manually changed owner/permissions on a few files because the computer would tell me that I couldn't trash a file or something. Anyway, this is all background... I wanted you to know all of that as well as the following: (1) There are possibly very good reasons that things aren't working; (2) I have both Disk Warrior and TechToolPro, but I do not understand how either of them are supposed to help me maintain a cleaner system.

OK, here's where I want help: iTunes v4.9(17) has taken to freezing when I try to add new songs to my Library or Playlists. This happens whether I use "Import..." or drag-and-drop. When I attempt to add a song, it goes all beach ball forever. According to Activity Monitor iTunes CPU usage jumps from something nice like 6% to 80-90% and then Activity Monitor reports iTunes as hung and I am able to Force Quit.

I can listen to iTunes all I want as long as I don't try to import any songs.

Other info: I'm a music hog. I have copied most every CD that I --and many of my friends-- have ever purchased. I also download from both the Store and free music. I currently have 4900 songs. The music is stored in my user/Music/iTunes/iTunes_Music folder. The iTunes App is located in my Computer/Hard_Drive/Applications folder. I am using OS X 10.3.9. According to Get Info, iTunes belongs to "system" and I have read & write privs.

Oh, I also have already trashed the iTunes prefs files -- at least the ones that I found. To be honest, all these levels of users and persmissions and such really confuse me. (Is it possible to have multiple versions of, say, QuickTime, depending on the user logged in?) I am one person -- the only person who uses my computer. I live alone and have no fear of anyone accessing my files (at least from my own computer -- I am of course interested in maintaining security from outside hackers.) So, this OS X stuff is all a little bit baffling to me. Though I'm a fifteen-year Mac user and fairly intelligent, I get totally baffled by all the redundant levels in OS X. When I open a finder window and look at the heirarchy and see "Computer/Hard_Drive/Users/MyUserName/" I feel like screaming, "IT'S ALL ME -- I'M ONLY ONE PERSON!!!"

Sorry. You know that computer hangups can be frustrating. I'm a nice guy, really.

Back