iTunes freezes when "determining gapless

bunner bob

Registered
playback" (sorry - your subject line wouldn't allow a complete description)

An update or two back iTunes started doing this thing called "determining gapless playback" in which it counts to some number out of some other number (e.g. "Analyzing 2 of 383") and then freezes with the spinning beach ball. It does this every time I try to copy songs to my iPod. My iPod is the kind with the four buttons above the wheel - no click wheel. My Mac is a G5 dual core 2.3 mHz with 2 gigs of RAM, running 10.4.8 at present. It only happens when copying songs to the iPod. If I try to click the "x" to stop it, it just freezes - probably before it even senses my click.

How can I get it to stop trying to do this gapless playback thing on my iPod?

- Robert Meador

hey,
my itunes has been doing the same thing after the update. ive read in some forums a lot of other people are having the same problem with "determining gapless playback"

i also get a message that says "the disk cannot be read from or written to" while trying to copy certain songs onto the ipod, and when importing cd's. not sure about this message.

but with the gapless playback freezing, i wound up leaving my computer with the wheel spinning for a couple of hours, and when i came back it had moved onto another song. the wheel was spinning again, but it at least made progress. so i dont think the computer is frozen, its just having trouble at certain points. must be a really complicated gap? i dont know. but try leaving yours overnight with the wheel spinning, and in system pref.s set your computer hard drive not to go to sleep.

is anyone else having this problem?

here's a link to some other people who were struggling with it...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4318706&#4318706

Back