iTunes hanging in Panther

Dris

The Benevolent
This has been bugging me. After I installed Panther, certain MP3s will, with no immediately apparent reason, cause iTunes to hang indefinitely when it tries to play them. The only thing I can do is force quit the app.

The MP3s seem to have no problems; they play fine in QuickTime Player. I can't find anything different about them. I tried repairing permissions, but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Weird... does it always happen at the same point in the song? Or is it random?

Do you have the possibility to try the same file on a pre-Panther iTunes ?

Dris said:
This has been bugging me. After I installed Panther, certain MP3s will, with no immediately apparent reason, cause iTunes to hang indefinitely when it tries to play them. The only thing I can do is force quit the app.

The MP3s seem to have no problems; they play fine in QuickTime Player. I can't find anything different about them. I tried repairing permissions, but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Yep, been having the exact same problem. Went from a solid 10.2.8 installation to a buggy, freeze-prone 10.3.1 install. iTunes hangs (spinning beach ball, stuttering mouse) the system when importing, copying, editing, playing, and sometimes even when shutting down. And I'm really starting to get miffed.

Below is a message I sent to MacNN earlier. It describes the problem, the circumstances surrounding it, where the problem has been documented by others, and what sort of "cure" there is on the horizon.

A number of Mac users have been reporting problems with iTunes and Panther (10.3.x), usually with (but not limited to) portables such as the iBook (G3/G4) and the PowerBook. I was experiencing repeated system freezes and thought my problem unique until I began hunting around various discussion forums.

The interesting bit is that Apple has resolutely denied that this could be a compatibility issue and has instead sent people to have their hardware checked. A quick look around the same support forums that I've easily found would seem to illustrate that this exact problem is easily replicated among similar environments.

Most of the threads relating to this can be found here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@234.cOHFaVpPnaR.2@.eeac121

I've tried to start a separate thread chronicling the problem (for easy reference), but for the time being most of the complaints can be found under "iTunes crashes every single time!"

Maybe you're already aware of this. Maybe you think it's petty. Whatever the case, I wanted to bring it to your attention, as iTunes is one of Apple's flagship apps, and a Panther glitch of this nature would have a serious impact on most Mac users.

... hope this helps you, Dris. Do me a favour and make a post in the forum linked above in order to add one more case study. Cheers.

I have had this issue but not when actually playing music. I keep itunes open and minimized when I am not playing music. Sometimes when I go to close the program or select it, iTunes simply freezes and has to be closed with a force quit. Hopefully this will be repaired soon...

Back