iTunes has suddenly decided to start truncating file names

Tinpusher

Registered
Trying to sync my master MP3 collection (on a G4 running OSX 10.4.9) with iTunes on my new laptop (running Vista with iTunes 7.6.2.9 on an NTFS formatted HDD).

Copied the music files onto an external HDD, no problems. File names and folder structure preserved as expected.

However, when importing the music files into iTunes on the laptop, every file name longer than 35 characters is truncated to 35 characters. For instance, Rihanna - Umbrella (Jody den Broeder Destruction radio edit) becomes, in the file name, 08 Umbrella (Jody den Broeder Destru.mp3.

iTunes has only started doing this this morning. Exactly the same installation yesterday gave me no problems at all.

Am I missing something? It's very frustrating. It means the synchronisation between the G4 and the laptop is impossible.

Not really, but I've got a workaround. Deselect "keep my music organised" and "copy music to itunes folder". When you add a track, click "consolidate my library" to copy it into your iTunes music folder in the correct directory.

It's a clusterf*ck, but it works.

The 35 character file name limit means that it's impossible to keep an iTunes music folder synchronised between a computer running windows, and one running OSX... as far as I can see!

Has apple fixed this problem yet? I've been converting FLAC files to MP3 and adding them to my library. However, they wind-up in an "unknown artist" "unknown album" folder. If possible, I'd like to use itunes to organize them, rather than doing it all manually.

Thanks!
Rob

Back