iTunes/iPhoto Library Sharing, multi user, same machine..

MacMuppet

Registered
Hi everyone

I have a G4 that my girlfriend also uses, with fast user switching. I want us to share the iTunes and iPhoto libraries - so that anything added only has to be added once.
So far I have tried creating a folder ('Mutual Folder') on the top level of Macintosh HD, and given permissions to my gf's account to this folder, and created an alias on the desktop - this works much like the Drop Box except its 'read' as well as 'write'.
All well and good so far, transferring files between users works well.
However I am loath to drag my libraries into this folder - as I'm not really confident with user groups etc yet, and iTunes copyright protection etc well - I guess I just wanted to know how you boffins would go about achieving the same thing.
Another problem is I don't want to have to get info of the folder and "Apply to Enclosed Items" every time I add something to either library......

Any ideas?

Also sorry if this has been covered before, I searched but could only find sightly different issues like sharing iTunes between two machines etc....

i did something similar with itunes. only i kept my itunes directory as-is. i just changed the permissions and make her itunes directory an alias to mine. now it works just dandy. i may have created a "music" group that we both belong to as well. i'm at work now so i can't look it up.

anyway, neither of us have to "apply to enclosed items" ever. it works fine. presumably you could do the same with your iphoto stuff.

if you want some more info, pm me and i'll look up my details. i got some guidance off these forums, but it didn't work the way i wanted so i had to change somethings.

Back