itunes/music folder?

super_pup

scared.weird.little.guy
forgive me if this is a stupid question
in my 'home' i've got a Music folder with the iTunes folder containing the Music Library, a folder with all my music and musiclibrary.xml.
i also have an 'itunes' foler containg the same things inside my home.
i therefore have two copies of all my songs, do i not? which reduces my hard drive space.
can i just delete the itunes folder inside music with no risk of affecting stuff?
if this isnt clear, let me know!
please and thankyou.

I'm running X.2.2 on a G4 dual 450.
In my Music folder I have nothing.....
My iTunes folder is actually ONLY located in my Documnets folder.
Run a test with a 2 or 3 songs. Copy them to the Desktop. Erase them from the Music folder, Launch iTunes and see if they're in your playlist. If they are, Quit iTunes, delete the SAME songs from the iTunes folder in teh Documnets flder, launch iTunes and check to see if they are available.
This will allow you to MAKE SURE in which folder iTUnes is taking it's files from.
I would suggest taking 3 songs from three different artists.
Also check if your Music folder is the EXACT replica of the iTUnes folder.
Maybe in the previous versions of iTunes the OS used the Music folder.

Good luck. :cool:

In iTunes preferences there you can set iTunes to copy all mp3s to its own folder and organiez music on its own way. This option is on by default. You can either turn that off and have music stored wherever you want, and only list of files will be in iTunes folder, or you can leave that on and delete all mp3s in other place than iTunes folder. Just make sure you import all your music to iTunes lib. before you delete anything.

FWIW, I believe that by default iTunes 2 kept the library file in your Documents folder, and the MP3s in your Music folder, so there were two iTunes folders. iTunes 3 consolodated them all into ~/Music/iTunes.

Back