iTUNES naming tracks issue

gazzerdc

Registered
I know this is ancient history because I'm supposed to be an iPOD. But here's the deal: I just spent hours building a cd. The songs are original. They are "billy dungbeetle" singing "my woman dis it" or anything like that you could purchase. They're original. I titled them all; I imported art from MY OWN COMPUTER; I submitted to the CD Graceline whatever police to make sure I wasn't stealing some bull from some bad music artist. So, why is it that when I burned the cd, and removed it from my computer and put in in my laptop, the title of the cd is now "AUDIO CD" and the tracks are called "TRACK 1, "TRACK 2," instead of the names I spent time to input. What do i need to do in order to burn a cd that HAS THE TITLE OF THE CD AND THE TITLES OF THE TRACKS ON IT? Sorry to be yelling, but this is truly absurd.

Please help. I can't figure this out and the time meter is at five hours.

What type of laptop did you put the CD into, and what software are you using the view the tracks on that laptop? I think that the track names are kept with the CD, but it might be an iTunes thing. If you have a Windows laptop, and are trying to use something other than iTunes to play the CD, that might be the issue. I don't think that naming tracks was something that was every part of the CD disc spec, but I could be wrong. I remember, years ago, that my Windows computer never displayed track names of CDs that I bought or burned myself.

(As you can see, I don't know any of this for sure, but I think I might be close. Anyone want to shoot me down here?)

Its' from a mac to a mac, from a G4 to an ibook. God forbid someone wants to listen to this on something other than an APPLE product!

gazzerdc said:
... when I burned the cd, and removed it from my computer and put in in my laptop, the title of the cd is now "AUDIO CD" and the tracks are called "TRACK 1, "TRACK 2," instead of the names I spent time to input. What do i need to do in order to burn a cd that HAS THE TITLE OF THE CD AND THE TITLES OF THE TRACKS ON IT? Sorry to be yelling, but this is truly absurd.

Um I don't understand what you are trying to do technically. Audio CDs do not support track names or anything of the sort. So when you burned the CD of course it lost that data - there is no way to store it.

Now when you put a purchased CD into your machine it calculates a "fingerprint" of the CD and sends it in to Gracenote (nee CDDB) over the network they then look it up and send the tracks back. iTunes will cache this so if you reinsert a disk it does not have to go get it a second time. But there is no reason the believe that Gracenote would keep data for a CD that you personally burned. In fact because fingerprints sometimes collide they most likely actively purge data from homemade disks.

So I guess my answer is that you cannot do that because CDs never worked that way.

// I know about the old CD+G stuff and the like but that never took of so it does not count.

So, you're saying that there is no way to share a CD that will "burn" the titles of the tracks? So, I guess I just have to print out a little booklet that has the names of the tracks on it to include with the cd? I have also found that you cannot change the names of the titles that you have "submitted" for once you've submitted them, that's it. So I have a theatrical production whose genre is "Alternative and Punk" by accident and I cannot change the titles of the songs. But I digress. So, you're saying that when I give this CD to someone, they won't be able to put it in iTUNES and see the titles of the tracks?

'Course you can; just don't burn it to an Audio CD. Burn it to a data or mp3 disc (depending on the file type of the songs you're burning).

That, I fear, is a feature. My notes on the subject:

iTunes Notes AMB: 12/01/05

1. Private CCDB data base: iTunes keeps a private data
base of each CD it burns to supplement the official CCDB
data base on the web. It is

~/library/preferences/CD info.cidb

This holds everything but the album art.

If you inadvertently erase that file (like I did), all your
burned CDs will show up as "Audio Disc" with generic track names.
---------------

Same game if you put the CD in another Mac -- like your laptop.

You can copy the CD Info file to the same place on your laptop, and
you'll find all your laboriously titled tracks reappear.

texanpenguin said:
'Course you can; just don't burn it to an Audio CD. Burn it to a data or mp3 disc (depending on the file type of the songs you're burning).

Sorry for being an idiot here, but I assumed the CD-R that I was purchasing was for 'either' data or audio. So, what would I look for if I wanted to burn audio onto a data CD? Or mp3 disc? Also, will mp3 discs play in anything: car? CD player? Computer? Disc player under the tv set? I thought that the best thing was to burn aiff files to CD in order to ensure the variety of playability....

The difference between an audio and data CD/DVD is not the media. It is the disc format that you burn onto the media. A data CD/DVD would be formatted either Mac OS X Extended or a hybrid Mac OS Extended/ISO 9660 and would be playable on another Mac or on a PC (if it were the hybrid format) but it would not be playable on a commercial CD or DVD player.

Lurk's very cogent has already explained that audio format CDs and DVDs do not support file names. All you will get are track numbers.

Thank you. Seems the only answer is to print out the little booklet that has the track names and print out the artwork and say "here, follow along while you listen." :)

albloom said:
That, I fear, is a feature. My notes on the subject:

iTunes Notes AMB: 12/01/05

1. Private CCDB data base: iTunes keeps a private data
base of each CD it burns to supplement the official CCDB
data base on the web. It is

~/library/preferences/CD info.cidb

This holds everything but the album art.

If you inadvertently erase that file (like I did), all your
burned CDs will show up as "Audio Disc" with generic track names.
---------------

Same game if you put the CD in another Mac -- like your laptop.

You can copy the CD Info file to the same place on your laptop, and
you'll find all your laboriously titled tracks reappear.
That explains what I see then when I burn my CDs and the track names are there when I insert it into my Mac, but are gone when I use it elsewhere. I didn't think you could burn the names to the disc, but I thought that maybe iTunes was burning them somewhere on the disc that a typical player would not look, and that iTunes would be able to find it. It seems that's not the case. Oh well, shot in the dark.

Back