iTunes organizing/playlists

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I'm still kind of new to the Mac, so I hope there are just some things here that I am missing. I am using iTunes 2 and ripping some MP3s. These are to mostly use for work on my NT Workstation using WinAmp. I used to use AudioCatalyst under Windows, which allowed prefixing of filenames, so you could put in track numbers and such, so you could play the albums in proper order on any MP3 player. Does iTunes not allow this? If not, besides having to manually add it to each file, what are people doing who are in my situation? WinAmp can create a playlist, a .M3U, and you save the file to wherever you want, usually the same folder as the MP3s. The playlist in iTunes doesn't seem to work the same way.

Thanks for any tips here.

.. sorry, but I don't think you can do that. :(

Changing the filename in the Finder will change the name in iTunes, though, so you could use A Better Finder Rename to prefix them all with ascending numbers. Besides that, I don't know.

Changing the filename will not change the name of that file in the iTunes 2 playlist. iTunes displays the mp3-name-tag instead of the real filename. :)

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=3019&db=mac
mp3 rage.
for all your windows-style file name editing needs. convert the ID3 tag into a file name with whatever string you like a la audiocatalyst. convert file names into ID3 tags. organize your mp3s automatically by ID3 tag or file name. create a list of all your mp3s if you swing like that. do it all. oh baby.

Oo boi o.

Actually, when you rip a cd in itunes, it automatically adds the track numbers in the ID3 tag, so the songs stay in order. If you don't want the track number showing up in the name, just right click on a song in itunes and select get info, then click on the Tag tab. Add the song number into the song # box and there you go. Also, itunes keeps track of everything with the itunes music library file. You delete this, and all playlist and song references are gone. Songs are still there, just reference to them through itunes is gone.

for windows users, winamp won't sort the files based on their track listing in the ID3 tag, only alphabetically or manually. most windows mp3 players concentrate on files instead of the actual songs- by this i mean the user clicks on the file to play it. itunes gets rid of this- heck, i don't even have to know where my files are to play them with itunes. it's nifty.

Back