iTunes peculiarities Panther/Jaguar shared library

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
I have a simple home LAN of two G4s one running Jaguar the other testing Panther.

The Jag one had iTunes 4.0 and Panther one iTunes 4.01. I discovered I could not access the main MP3 library on the Jag G4 from the Panther on via sharing. A dialog said "library incompatible". It could see and show the shared library but not access it.

I then just upgraded both to iTunes 4.1. I now can access via sharing the MP3 library on the Jag G4 from the Panther one, but not the other way. No matter what preferences I change, the Jag G4 iTunes will not even find or show the library on the Panther G4.

I don't know if this is some peculiarity of my network, my router, or some Panther/Jaguar incompatibility.

=========
Another iTunes bug present in 4.0, 4.01 & still in 4.1. On attempting to share the MP3 library, if I click with mouse on the shared library, then click in text entry box to enter the password, iTunes freezes. It does not allow any keyboard entry, does not respond to keypresses, no menu works, nothing. The only way out is FORCE QUIT iTunes.

I discovered after much frustration, if I use ARROW DOWN in the source box of iTunes (on the left containing playlists, shared libraries etc) when the password entry dialog box comes up it will respond and allow text entry.

It is now working correctly, perhaps due to my installing the two recent security updates for Panther.

After weeks of frustration and no luck, and fiddling with preferences, all the sudden the iTunes 4.1 on both the G4s one running Jaguar 10.2.4 and the other Panther 10.3.1 with current security updates are now correctly sharing the MP3 libraries on each respective G4 with the other.

I have no idea why it did not work since I installed Panther on one G4. I did within the past two days install the 11-19-03 & 12-05-03 security updates on the Panther 10.3.1 G4. Perhaps that something to do with why it now works. I had also after installing the security updates, ran Fix Permission and the normal Unix maintenance via MacJanitor. But I normally run those routinely after any installs and had done so before the two security updates without fixing the iTunes problem.

For whatever reason, the G4s are now sharing MP3 libraries correctly. I have no idea why it now works.

The password dialog bug freeze in iTunes still exists tho.

Back