• PM9650/233 Server Running 9.1 and Appleshare IP 6.3
  • Power Macintosh 6500/250 Running 9.1
  • Power Macintosh 6500/250 Running 9.1
  • Power Macintosh 6400/180 Running 9.1
  • Power Macintosh 6400/180 Running 9.1
  • Power Macintosh 5500 All-In-One Running 9.1
  • Compaq Deskpro PIII/500 Running Windows XP
  • IBM Thinkpad PII/300 Running Windows 98SE

With all of this I have a really nice Archos 20GB MP3 player that is a glorified USB hard drive. Since all of these computers seem to burn slow, I've created a network drive on the PM9600 using appletalk.

I have a huge CD-ROM collection in the number of about 1000 CD's. They're really mine and I've purchased them over the last 20 years and these files are all behind my firewall ;)

I'd like to burn them or as many of them to my MP3 player so that I can truely have a portable library and since I have Itunes in almost every room now, be able to play the library when I want.

I've encountered two issues on the slower Mac's that I need help with:

On the PM9650 Server I think I'd like to upgrade it with a Trio card as well so that I can have more space on a hard drive and create FTP for the 20GB so that my Windows XP machine can use it. The cost will be the same as Dave/PCMacLAN etc but will increase the functionality of that.

Would it be best to run the MP3 player on the network from the server?

Would there be a better way? My 300 CD changer just doesn't cut it anymore as I'm sick of switching stuff out. :mad:

The slower Mac's like the 5500,6400,6500 don't play Itunes too well. They crash often as Itunes freezes up. The version that I'm running is the last version they made for classic. Any suggestions out there as to alternatives?

I'd like to spend a day or so and burn my whole feaking CD library onto the MP3 player and I'll need all the players working.

Help me configure it here. What do you see as the big picture in my house? That reminds me, I should probably move the printer to the server now too if I can install USB huh? I'll save that for a different post.... ::angel::

Back