iTunes price hike...

Status
Not open for further replies.

telarium

Registered
As noted on Slashdot and The Register - the price of some songs in iTunes will be upped to $1.25.

Since I surely won't be paying for this anymore, I suppose I've now rendered my iPod useless (old 5 Gigger) in the legal music arena.

I had considered purchasing a new iPod to replace my older one, but now I think I'm going to take my business to one of the other MP3/WMV players out there. Any suggestions -- I'm thinking of something with a battery life longer than 10 minutes (equivalent to the amount of time my current iPod holds a charge)?

I was also considering a G5 to compliment my G4, but I think Alienware will be my option now...

Brad

P.S. - I suppose I should add that they will be selling some albums for $16.99. I think I'll just go purchase the cd for cheaper (Wal-Mart?), and rip it to whatever format I want, without limitations.

I love bait-and-switch.

telarium said:
As noted on Slashdot and The Register - the price of some songs in iTunes will be upped to $1.25.

Since I surely won't be paying for this anymore, I suppose I've now rendered my iPod useless (old 5 Gigger) in the legal music arena.

I had considered purchasing a new iPod to replace my older one, but now I think I'm going to take my business to one of the other MP3/WMV players out there. Any suggestions -- I'm thinking of something with a battery life longer than 10 minutes (equivalent to the amount of time my current iPod holds a charge)?

I was also considering a G5 to compliment my G4, but I think Alienware will be my option now...

Brad

P.S. - I suppose I should add that they will be selling some albums for $16.99. I think I'll just go purchase the cd for cheaper (Wal-Mart?), and rip it to whatever format I want, without limitations.

I love bait-and-switch.
Are you so naive to believe that the prices will rise only at the iTMS? Reportedly, the record companies are demanding that Apple raises its prices for online music. You think that Wal-Mart and Real Networks have greater control over its prices? If so, how is that possible?

telarium said:

Brad

I love bait-and-switch.

You do that. Enjoy the crashable registerry goodness.

Oh, and if you think Apple has anything to do with this you are sadly mistaken. The big 5 are now going to squeeze whatever they can from the online services until they drive everyone back to the P2P networks.

MisterMe said:
Are you so naive to believe that the prices will rise only at the iTMS? Reportedly, the record companies are demanding that Apple raises its prices for online music. You think that Wal-Mart and Real Networks have greater control over its prices? If so, how is that possible?

Wal-Mart sells music for 88 cents, at a loss - so as to attract customers to their other offerings. If they're selling it at a loss now, I don't see why they wouldn't keep the 88 cent price point - and take a slightly bigger loss, while, in turn, making themselves the more attractive music service - and more attractive retailer altogether.

Touche.

Brad

Anim8r said:
You do that. Enjoy the crashable registerry goodness.

Oh, and if you think Apple has anything to do with this you are sadly mistaken. The big 5 are now going to squeeze whatever they can from the online services until they drive everyone back to the P2P networks.

I didn't say I was going to be running Windows. In fact, I'll be running FreeBSD (or OpenBSD depending on environmental specifications).

Further, I didn't say Apple had anything to do with it. But they do offer iPods, and do direct people to their iTunes music store with a selling point of 99 cents a song. And I am virtually forced to use their service for legal music. But, suprisingly, you have one thing right: I did say I would be moving back to a p2p service.

Touche again.

Brad

telarium said:

you do realise it is legal to buy CDs, rip them to mp3 or aac and use them.

mrfluffy said:
you do realise it is legal to buy CDs, rip them to mp3 or aac and use them.

"I suppose I should add that they will be selling some albums for $16.99. I think I'll just go purchase the cd for cheaper (Wal-Mart?), and rip it to whatever format I want, without limitations."

The point I'm trying to make is that the convienence factor, which is a selling point within itself, is no longer there. But I have no problem physically purchasing the cds, ripping and encoding them, and putting them on my iPod - just a few more steps than iTMS music itself.

Brad

ablack6596 said:
And you trust the NY Post. ::ha::

That's the attitude I'm taking on this "news."

Hopefully it's not true. IF it is, I won't be purchasing any of the 1.25 music (and definitely won't be buying an album at 16.99 - Nor will I buy them at Walmart for a cheaper price - I'll download it! Screw the industry if they want to screw us....)

telarium said:
The point I'm trying to make is that the convienence factor, which is a selling point within itself, is no longer there. But I have no problem physically purchasing the cds, ripping and encoding them, and putting them on my iPod - just a few more steps than iTMS music itself.

Brad
So when you said "I suppose I've now rendered my iPod useless (old 5 Gigger) in the legal music arena" you meant you've made it slightly less convenient.

And the Mac observer also reported that the prices aren't going up
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/05/07.11.shtml

j79 said:
Hopefully it's not true. IF it is, I won't be purchasing any of the 1.25 music (and definitely won't be buying an album at 16.99 - Nor will I buy them at Walmart for a cheaper price - I'll download it! Screw the industry if they want to screw us....)

Then buy your music at www.allofmp3.com =)

Ripcord said:
Then buy your music at www.allofmp3.com =)

I love the idea (paying for bandwidth, essentially) - but what scares me is the fact that it's some company in Russia. Not that that's a bad thing. Just, I trust giving my credit card number to a company like Apple than a company in Russia.....
:)

I should check to see if they have some dance/electronic/techno music on their site.. If they do, maybe i'll try it out..

BTW, Apple has denied the price hikes. Like it's been said already.. It was the NY Post..... (Apple should send them a C&D letter for anything related to Apple.. "Sorry, we don't like rumors...")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back