itunes question ???

iron-lung

Registered
I am about to reinstall OSX 10.3 onto my G4. I have done this before but I am always releuctant to because it means I have to reorganise my whole library into sub folders and retype the names for alot.

Now that my music library exceeds 7000 songs this can turn into many hours of rearranging. Apart from going through the mp3's and putting them into catergorized sub-folders prior to importing into itunes, is there anyway I can extract/export the enviorement/ layout of the folders so that after reinstalling OSX i can run a script etc to replicate how it is now.

Any ideas?????

i guess i will have to do the long haul.....>>>>

Just back all your itunes music files up onto CD or DVD, and also backup your itunes music database (the files labeled 'iTunes 4 Music Library' & 'iTunes Music Library.xml') in the folder called itunes in your music folder in your users' home directory.
After reinstalling OSX, put the music files back in the same place that they were previously, and do the same with the itunes database files. iTunes should see them as before when you run it.

If you have another drive this is even easier, I go through this all the time.

Set your music library to a folder on another drive, and click the "arrange songs" option, iTunes will then drop all the music into that folder. Go into your music folder, copy the iTunes folder over to the new drive, and the preference file. Reinstall, and copy the iTunes and prefs file back, open iTunes and you are set. :)

Jason

My music library is already on another drive... so all i have to do is copy the preferences ??? and that will replicatate my library after fresh install?

Back