itunes skipping

pmer

Registered
Hello,

I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 and iTunes 7.6 and I have been noticing that all of the songs I play skip every 30-40 seconds and it is really annoying while trying to play music. Is there a way to fix this?

thanks,
Paul

Hello,

I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 and iTunes 7.6 and I have been noticing that all of the songs I play skip every 30-40 seconds and it is really annoying while trying to play music. Is there a way to fix this?

thanks,
Paul

iTunes 7.6 is a piece of junk which freezes (i.e. becomes unresponsive, beachballs you) every chance it gets. When I'm importing music, it freezes at least once during every song. Every freeze lasts 10-15 seconds. Go to apple.com/support, click your way into the iTunes sections, and you'll find dozens of discussions on this subject.

Someone named "organe d'honneur" at arstechnica.com pretty much summed it up nicely:

iTunes 7.6 is indeed a mess.
There were so many posts on apple' boards that they created a permanent topic linking to a technical note on this issue : http://discussions.apple.com/ann.jspa?annID=552 . A pure MS attitude if you ask me, instead of fixing the problem.

Especially since Apple's answer to this problem is so outraging:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307419
quote:
Check iTunes to see if there are any rental movies in the iTunes library. If there are rentals, create a separate iTunes library for downloading and watching rented movies and only use your original iTunes library for music, ringtones, TV shows, and other content."

So user-friendly, isn'it?

We also have this gem:
quote:
Having large MPEG or MPG files in your library can cause iTunes 7.6 to exhibit this behavior

In my case, "large" mpgs were 80MB in size. What is that, Apple, 1993?

An undocumented solution is also to uncheck the "automatically sync with connected iphone/ipod" in the preferences.

Having done all of this, iTunes 7.6 is still nearly unusable on my G4 1.33.

iTunes is amazingly the lowest-quality product Apple has distributed in a while.

I hope Apple comes to their senses and comes to the rescue of iTunes hastily. I cannot take this very much longer without having to double up my dosage of Paxil!

In other words, we'll have to play the waiting game and see if Apple releases an update to iTunes soon rather than keep increasing the size of the memory of their phones and iPods (which, I might add, I have no complaints about, since the recent increase of the iPhone's memory to 16GB was quite a catalyst for me to go and buy it).

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple otherwise and I wear my Leopard T-shirt in public with pride. But this iTunes thing is inexcusable.

Alra111

I have problems with itunes skipping. From a fresh leopard install! Under tiger I had no problems. I have no plugins and have disabled just about every options. I have even downgraded itunes from 7.6.2 to 7.5. People have all sorts of hardware, new and old and are experiencing this problem, I have a powerbook 12" G4 1.5GHZ 1.25GB ram.

I think this relates to another problem I was having previously. The sound of the internal speakers would come and go after I unplugged my earphones and left them unplugged. Now, the skipping seems to have stopped when I use earphones! So the skipping seems unrelated to hardware being a PPC or intel, new or old model. When I viewed the sound under system preferences, the «sound output» would fluctuate between ipsx or something similar, internal speakers and earphones. That is what I think may be the cause for the skipping at least for me. Can anyone confirm? Know how to fix?

Philippe

I am running -

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B08

- I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive with all my music, hooked up firewire 800, and itunes skips all the time - very, very, did i say very? FRUSTRATING!!!!!
ANY & ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED. THANKS

Back