Itunes Stops Playing If I Login to Another Account

kosa13

Registered
I run multiple user accounts on my Tiger, these help me organize my documents and settings depending on different things I do. I recently re-installed the system, keeping old accounts and settings, but ever since every time I have iTunes playing on one of the accounts and log into a different one the sound goes off. Any idea how I can change it, as I used to be able to switch in between accounts without music being affested. thanks

bart

It's a difference if you actually log-out (completely leave) or fast-user switch to another account. And even there it was not natural that the music keeps playing AFAIK.

I think I remember there is a small utility for the fast user thing, I'm not 100% sure though

I think it's _quite_ logical that Apple does it like that. I mean: You don't want another user to start an iTunes jazz session, use FUS to get to the login window and leave you with a lot of sound without the ability to turn it off, because you have to wait until that user's back, enters his password and turns it off himself! You want the hidden active users (by Fast User Switching) to be quiet indeed. You also don't want their mail accounts to make a "poing" sound whenever _they_ get new mail, right? You want only the sound of the active user, really.

Fryke's right.

Windows XP fails to hush other accounts, so if you're playing music and you switch users it will continue to. There is no way to get rid of it if you're logged in as someone else.

I'd say Apple putting in the pause feature was a good idea.

I think it's _quite_ logical that Apple does it like that. I mean: You don't want another user to start an iTunes jazz session, use FUS to get to the login window and leave you with a lot of sound without the ability to turn it off, because you have to wait until that user's back, enters his password and turns it off himself! You want the hidden active users (by Fast User Switching) to be quiet indeed. You also don't want their mail accounts to make a "poing" sound whenever _they_ get new mail, right? You want only the sound of the active user, really.
The right answer, in my view, is a setting. It can be off by default, but there should be a way to allow audio to continue when fast user switching.

exclamation.gif

--J.D.

Back