iTunes streaming question

Alright people-- here's the deal. In my house, I have a G4 Cube and G5 tower both connected to a buffalo tech router, connected to the LAN of my Airport Extreme. I also have an Airport Express with Airtunes enabled (streaming to a stereo), and two laptops (iBook and PowerBook) connected wirelessly through the airport network. here is the problem: I use my G4 cube as a music and print server for the house, and all computers need to access it, but when it is hooked up to the router, only the G5 can access the music, the library is not shared through Airport, so Airtunes cannot be used, and neither my iBook and PowerBook can connect to the shared library. Also, neither the iBook nor the PowerBook can access the shared printers. I know Apple would never answer my questions on this because they have something agianst 3rd party solutions-- and I would buy an Apple router if there was one, but there isn't! Is there any way to resolve this problem other than hooking up the Cube directly up to the LAN of the airport and buying an airport card for the G5 tower?

You will need to set your airport base station to bridge mode instead of router mode.

The reason you can't see the shared printers is because you have really created 2 separate networks, a wired one and a wireless one.

Bridge mode will make the wireless network part of the wired network.

Ok, ok-- the only problem now is that I have two Airport Express base stations that connect to that network, and need the Airport Extreme to distribute its IP address... would just a 4 port switch work, connected to the LAN port of the Airport Extreme? Or does anyone know of a way to turn off the router functions of a Buffalo Tech WBR-54G wireless access point, and just make it a wired continuation of my current airport network (the wireless is already turned off).

Back