iTunes Track Duplicates?

Hey there... does anyone know of a script/program that can look though your iTunes tracks, sampling artist, track name, and time information, looking for duplicates, and then inform you of the potential clones? If there isnt, is there someone out there capable of writing one?

I don't know of anything that can do that; I usually just scan my listings. If it's a big problem and you can't find any software solutions, you can always delete everything and add it back to your library, though this plays hell with your custom lists. Ask cf25 on this board if you want something written; he was volunteering his skills a while back.

Check versiontracker or macupdate. I know there was an app called Duplicate Finder (or Duplicates Finder), but I don't know if you can specify it to look in one particular area, such as your music library.
That said, unless you have a monster library, it doesn't take that long to scan. I have almost 3,000 songs on my iPod and it took less than an hour to scan the entire library for duplicates recently (I had done some switching around of playlists and added a handful of albums).

So are you talking about duplicate MP3/AAC files, or duplicate track listings in iTunes? I have added songs to the library multiple times mult, um, on various occasions, and it can be a pain to track them down afterward. It's also hard to find MP3 files that are different copies of the same song. So my above method works for the first case but not the second.

I usually sort by length, scroll down, and stop when I find identical times. It is possible that different songs have the same times but titles can be quite different and yet be the same song. Your mileage may vary....

I mean duplicate AAC files, added once from an original cd, and then again from a mix or greatest hits cd. I went ahead and simply scrolled though the listings, but it seems like it would be a nice time saver program.

iTunes has a built-in function called Consolidate Library. It removes duplicates. Find it in the Advanced menu.

Tunes has a built-in function called Consolidate Library. It removes duplicates. Find it in the Advanced menu.
Wrong. It does not remove duplicates.

According to iTunes help on Consolidate Library:

Depending on how you've added songs to iTunes, your library might include songs that are located anywhere on your computer's hard disk or other media. To organize your files, you can choose to place a copy of all the files in your music library in your iTunes Music folder.

Any song files that are located outside the iTunes Music folder remain in their original location; copies of them are placed in your iTunes Music folder.

Back