iTunes Update Crash with Disc Utility (?)

Arrival

Registered
Hi Mac OSX Help,

I'm a iBook G4 Panther user with all latest updates (not isight, ipods or ariports)... or music for airports!

I just updated the new Safari and iTunes. They are working well, however, when I verified permissions using my Disc Utility it lost a connection with the disc management. Checking the console.log it describes (the) problem.

What do you suspect is the problem here? And, what must be done to correct it?

Cheers!

Peter

console.log:

Size: 35911 bytes
Last Modified: 16/01/06 2:47 PM
Contents: Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2006-01-16 14:31:04 -0400
*** malloc[402]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x50a680; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
: for architecture i386 object: ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD command 27 can't byte swap it)

2006-01-16 14:43:43.848 Disk Utility[401] NSDistantObject is invalid
*** malloc[407]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x50a680; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
: for architecture i386 object: ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD command 27 can't byte swap it)

I just got this too. Does anybody know what's up? I too, have 10.3.9 on a dual mirror door, dual G4 1.25 Ghz powermac.

This is from MacFixIt;

iTunes 6.0.2 (#5): Another fix for Disk Utility errors; Continuously asking for proxy password; more Another fix for Disk Utility errors We continue coverage of an inability to properly run Disk Utility after applying the iTunes 6.0.2 update, receiving the error message:
"Disk Utility lost connection with Disk Management Tool and cannot continue."

part-way through the repair process.

The problem generally affects users running Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Three workarounds have already been noted, and now MacFixIt reader Ian Waterson offers a less invasive procedure: deleting all .pkg files with iTunes in their name from /Library/Receipts expect for for iTunesX.pkg and iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg.

It also appears that stripping the iTunes 6.0.2 Universal Binary of Intel-specific code eliminates this issue, though this procedure is not recommended.

I had the same symptons, on an Imac G5, and on a powerbook, right after installing iTunes + QuickTime...
running X.3.9, in both systems.

Fernando

From the three workarounds have already been noted, I used this, and thinks seam to be woking fine. DiskUtility manage to repair all permissions

- procedure: deleting all .pkg files with iTunes in their name from /Library/Receipts expect for for iTunesX.pkg and iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg.

Back