iTunes wont open - Says it's "Being Updated"

NickBurns

Mac Abuser
Hello!

I search first and couldnt find anything on this. My itunes wont open because an error comes up that says its "Being Updated". I never updated anything. Im running 10.13.6 OS and iTunes version 12.8.3. Ive never had a problem with anything before.

Ive tried restarting, running disk utility, starting from another hard drive, and then coming back to this one and still no luck. I even ran the dusk utility from a different OS/Drive hoping that might clean up something that is stuck, but no luck.

Searching Google people say its a user file thats stuck open and that you have to delete itunes and re-install it. So I decided to come to the Pros here and see if these is a resolution.

Thank you for any help!

I can see that you haven't updated iTunes. Most recent, updated version is 12.9.5
On one of my older Macs, if I run into unusual situations, such as problems with one of Apple's apps, I tend to grab my bootable USB installer for the system (!0.13.6 for you), and do a reinstall of the system, as it exists. May take care of that. Run Software Update after the reinstall, to pick up the occasional app that doesn't update during the reload (or reverts to a somewhat older version, that may have come with the reinstall. IIRC, High Sierra still gets updates through the App Store (under the Update tab). I expect that will get you going again (with iTunes)

I can see that you haven't updated iTunes. Most recent, updated version is 12.9.5
On one of my older Macs, if I run into unusual situations, such as problems with one of Apple's apps, I tend to grab my bootable USB installer for the system (!0.13.6 for you), and do a reinstall of the system, as it exists. May take care of that. Run Software Update after the reinstall, to pick up the occasional app that doesn't update during the reload (or reverts to a somewhat older version, that may have come with the reinstall. IIRC, High Sierra still gets updates through the App Store (under the Update tab). I expect that will get you going again (with iTunes)
Itunes was updated as far as it would go for High Sierra which was 12.8.3. After that it wouldnt offer an update anymore.

Ive never done a 're-install' of my OS. I didnt know you could do that. I always wiped my HD clean first before installing. I will research it a bit. Thanks for the info!

Crap I just realized I dont have a bootable 10.13.6. I got this drive from an Mac Pro tower I purchased on Ebay. Doh!

I guess Ill see if I can get a thumb 10.13.6 on Ebay. FML

You can create your own bootable installer.
Go here --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662
for the High Sierra full install download. If it begins to install stop/cancel it and allow it to sit on your hard drive (it will be in your applications folder.
Now you need a 32GB usb drive. That will give you plenty of room for the boot os and the installer.
Go here ----> https://support.apple.com/en-us/101578
for instructions on creating your bootable install drive.

You can create your own bootable installer.
Go here --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662
for the High Sierra full install download. If it begins to install stop/cancel it and allow it to sit on your hard drive (it will be in your applications folder.
Now you need a 32GB usb drive. That will give you plenty of room for the boot os and the installer.
Go here ----> https://support.apple.com/en-us/101578
for instructions on creating your bootable install drive.
Thank you soooooo much!

I downloaded the High Sierra Installer and will put it on a thumb drive now.

if I run into unusual situations, such as problems with one of Apple's apps, I tend to grab my bootable USB installer for the system (!0.13.6 for you), and do a reinstall of the system, as it exists. May take care of that.
DeltaMac can you please elaborate on this? Are you saying I can run the installer/updater over my existing 10.13.6 and it keeps all of my files, preferences, etc?

Ive never done this so I just want to make sure I understand. Thanks again for the help

Yes, you can do a reinstall of your macOS system (in your case, High Sierra)
Boot to your bootable installer on a thumb drive.
Choose to reinstall when you get to the menu screen. Follow the steps to choose the destination (which will be the drive that you normally boot from
This will "re-new" your existing system install, and SHOULD get your system to work properly again. No need yet to do a full erase, reinstall, recover your files from a backup, etc. The simple reinstall from a bootable installer should do the job. I consider it a "repair install" of the system.
You will probably be asked to log in to your AppleID account again. That's entirely normal after a reinstall of the system.

Finally, the reinstall should not affect your own files, apps and settings, unless you choose to erase the drive first. That would be your choice, but, again, I think that is not necessary

Yes, you can do a reinstall of your macOS system (in your case, High Sierra)
Boot to your bootable installer on a thumb drive.
Choose to reinstall when you get to the menu screen. Follow the steps to choose the destination (which will be the drive that you normally boot from
This will "re-new" your existing system install, and SHOULD get your system to work properly again. No need yet to do a full erase, reinstall, recover your files from a backup, etc. The simple reinstall from a bootable installer should do the job. I consider it a "repair install" of the system.
You will probably be asked to log in to your AppleID account again. That's entirely normal after a reinstall of the system.

Finally, the reinstall should not affect your own files, apps and settings, unless you choose to erase the drive first. That would be your choice, but, again, I think that is not necessary
Thank you!!!! :cool:

For some reason the High Sierra I downloaded from the link says its 5.6Gig. But when I try to put it on a 64Gig thumb drive it says "The item “Install macOS High Sierra” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume’s format."

Anyone have any insight to this? Ive tried like 3 different thumb drives.

Thank you all!

I have found that you may need to use Disk Utility first to format the USB drive. This will totally erase any files that the manufacture put on it - Like documentation of the drive.

Formatting Drives on a Mac OS 10+​

1. Insert a USB drive into your USB port.
  2. Launch “Disk Utility” (from Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility).
  3. Select the USB drive from the list on the left.
  4. Select “Erase” at the top.
  5. Select the file system you would like to use, shown here as “Format”. You should be able to select MS-DOS (FAT), ExFAT and a few variations of Mac OS Extended. If you want to use one of these, go to step 6. If you are using macOS 10.13 High Sierra or newer and you want to use APFS. (and if you do not see it in the list, click Cancel. Go to the View menu and select “Show All Devices”. Select the new device that now appears higher in the logical device tree. It will probably be named something like "Kingston DataTraveler Media" with mixed-case lettering; not the one below, which could be named "KINGSTON". Click Erase again. Then, from the Scheme dropdown menu, select “GUID Partition Map”. Next, click on the Format dropdown and “APFS” will become available for you to select.)
  6. Type in a new name for the drive (Install High Sierra).
  7. Select “Erase”.
  8. Once complete, select “Done”.
  9. Once format is finished, the USB flash drive will be all set

I have found that you may need to use Disk Utility first to format the USB drive. This will totally erase any files that the manufacture put on it - Like documentation of the drive.

Formatting Drives on a Mac OS 10+​

1. Insert a USB drive into your USB port.
  2. Launch “Disk Utility” (from Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility).
  3. Select the USB drive from the list on the left.
  4. Select “Erase” at the top.
  5. Select the file system you would like to use, shown here as “Format”. You should be able to select MS-DOS (FAT), ExFAT and a few variations of Mac OS Extended. If you want to use one of these, go to step 6. If you are using macOS 10.13 High Sierra or newer and you want to use APFS. (and if you do not see it in the list, click Cancel. Go to the View menu and select “Show All Devices”. Select the new device that now appears higher in the logical device tree. It will probably be named something like "Kingston DataTraveler Media" with mixed-case lettering; not the one below, which could be named "KINGSTON". Click Erase again. Then, from the Scheme dropdown menu, select “GUID Partition Map”. Next, click on the Format dropdown and “APFS” will become available for you to select.)
  6. Type in a new name for the drive (Install High Sierra).
  7. Select “Erase”.
  8. Once complete, select “Done”.
  9. Once format is finished, the USB flash drive will be all set
Thank you soooooomuch! That worked! I am grateful for your help. :)

I was able to download the install to the USB. Now Im going to restart from the USB and try to do a 'reinstall' of my system. Fingers crossed. LOL

Thank you all!

Reporting back my final report. LOL

When trying to run the installer from my thumb drive after choosing 'reinstall' I got an error that said "The recovery server could not be contacted". I tried restarting, removing the thumb and reinstalling, etc, but no luck. So I decided to boot from the USB again but this time use the Disk Utility to run the first aid on my OS 10.13.6 drive in hopes it would clean up my problem.........And it worked! iTunes now launches with no problems!!!

So thanks to you all for the help. Much appreciated!!! :cool:

Back