iWeb - great, but so slow!

dirk.bernard

Registered
hi guys.

I am also not much of a web designer & so I used iWeb to make up a site for my son (www.aeneasmodel.de). I think, iWeb is just great but it put pictures onto the page which are so big that it takes its time to see the page on the web. Actually a lot of friends said the same that the site is so slow.

So, are there any suggestions how to make that better. Do I do something wrong? Or do I have to wait for the next version of iWeb?

Grateful for any help
Dirk

Hello there, great site! Love the photos! :D

Yes, the images are very very large. For example, the image ont he home page of the boy on the bike is 328k, which is a crazy size (usability experts recommend not having the entire page more than 60-100k!).

This is nothing you have done wrong, however. For some bizarre reason, iWeb is saving all photos inserted in a webpage to an image format called PNG. This format is one of the worst formats to save photos for the web for a couple of reasons:

• PNG does not compress photos well AT ALL. It's really only useful for simple graphics like diagrams, graphs, or text.
  • Many browsers do not support transparency in PNG (which iWeb uses a lot). Internet Explorer, for example, Has trouble with it.
  • Many older browsers do not support PNG at all!

The best image format for photos on the internet is JPEG. I downloaded the image that was 328k and used Photoshop to convert it to a medium-quality JPEG...it is now only 32k, and hasn't suffered much loss in quality (see attached image).

I had a look all over iWeb and I cannot find any way to choose what format it saves images as. I even tried converting an image to JPEG first, THEN importing it into iWeb, but it just converted it back to PNG when I published the website!!

So I'm not sure what to do, perhaps someone has some ideas, but it is definately the image format used.

This is pretty sloppy from Apple. I guess they are presuming all the users of your website will have a new browser, and a broadband connection. but as any self-respecting web designer would tell you - assuming ANYTHING about the end user's setup is a very bad idea.

hmmm

Attachments

• newImage.jpg
    newImage.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
The only way to force iWeb to have small images is to use small images or no images at all. Sadly, it's really just a tool to make websites from iLife –*and only for people who don't care about slow-loading webpages. I'd take a look at sandvox - http://www.karelia.com/ - which should be a similar tool, basically, but might be better at this image-thing. (I honestly don't know, though.) It's currently in beta.

Your server is down..

nevermind, the link format was wrong :p

What do you have for hosting? It seems like it's slow just loading text, it takes like 5 seconds for it to show up..

iWeb seems ahead of it's time, at least content-wise. not everyone has high-speed connections, and pages are slow even for them..

Back