iWork '05 CD vs iWork '05 DVD

spitty27

Apple Avid
I was on Apple's store for education online and noticed this. The DVD says Academic, but I'm not quite sure what's different about it. They are both priced at $49, only one's on a DVD and one's on a CD. If the two apps fit on a cd, why waste extra money on producing a DVD version. (I'd understand if they made a version for people who don't have DVD drives, but DVD drives still read CD-ROMs, so what's the deal here?)

iWork '05 Academic DVD
http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...hMP2WBcY7VZOYkGaNx/3.0.11.1.0.6.12.1.0.1.17.0

iWork '05 CD
http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...hMP2WBcY7VZOYkGaNx/3.0.11.1.0.6.12.1.2.1.17.0

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I just overlooked it.

thanks
-spitty27

Huh. I got the DVD version. And I thought it's because, if I recall correctly, that the apps together are a little over 700 MB.

Anybody know if the CD version comes with two CDs or one? If one, is something missing?

I would imagine the CD version is for people who can't read DVD's and the DVD version is for people who want both applications on one installer CD.
DVD drive required for install (CD version available separately)

its strange that they would use DVDs since there are 800mb CDs out in the market :)

maybe compatibility could be an issue!

800 MB CD's are like an overclocked processor. They may be out there, but they're not a very good solution and don't always work. Plus, they're not standard.

I guess the DVD has some extra templates or something on it? The _apps_ sure are much less in size.

Giaguara said:
...DVD contains same stuff. At least so I read...
Apparently so. I just looked at the DVD, and it only contains 640 MB of data (see attached screen shot). Small enough to fit on one standard sized CD, albeit with not much room to spare. The DVD isn't even formated to take advantage of more than 680 MB. Not sure why they'd do this, unless they just wanted to leave themselves room for expansion. Not that it would be difficult to change to a DVD at some point in the future should the extra space be needed.

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 27
Back