iwork vs. appleworks

ja2661

Registered
I'm familiar with appleworks - but I just notice iwork - I only have OS 10.3.3 but can upgrade to 10.4 for iwork if it is the best to work with - if not I'll get appleworks 6 - thoughts or preferences?

thanks

What are your needs? Do you need to do database and mail-merge? Do you find yourself using the "drawing" environment a lot? All these are AppleWorks strengths (compared to iWork). If all you need is a word processor and perhaps presentation software, iWork might be for you.

AppleWorks and iWork cost the same amount of money (when not included with hardware). Not sure I'd pay the 80 bucks that AppleWorks is said to be worth, given the negligence it has received from Apple in recent years. In addition, it's quite possible that future versions of iWork will include a database and a more robust drawing environment -- these two are AppleWork strengths. As a college student and clerical employee (lots of mail-merge and form-design), I would get iWork only so that I'd get access to Keynote.

AppleWorks 6 is on life support--Steve Jobs already announced that iWork was the intended replacement for Appleworks. If you need an office suite, get NeoOffice/J http://www.neooffice.org. It's much more compatible with MS Office and it's free.

ja2661 said:
I'm familiar with appleworks - but I just notice iwork - I only have OS 10.3.3 but can upgrade to 10.4 for iwork if it is the best to work with - if not I'll get appleworks 6 - thoughts or preferences?

thanks

Back