Jaguar 6C48 New Finder Preference

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Finally! We can choose to view all windows in Column View. Phew!

finderprefs.jpg

I'm most curious about what the Finder "computer" icon will replaced with?

Surly they can't leave it as the little blue iMac!?

Have they changed it in the 10.2 seeds yet??? I wonder if they'll implement a themeing option for the finder icons?

Themeing options seem highly unlikely.

The iMac icon is still there, and it makes sense to me. All through the 'Classic' eon, we had the original Macintosh throughout the system. The original iMac has been a big turning point in the design of the newer Macintosh computers. So the blue iMac is cool for me.

By the way: Stability is way up from 6C35.

Originally posted by fryke
So the blue iMac is cool for me.

i like the blue iMac icon, too. mainly because it looks exactly like my Indigo iMac DV...it's like Apple personalized OS X just for me! :eek:

er, yeah, anyway, that's cool about the Finder prefs. i don't use column view at all, but still, it's a nice addition, and certainly something that many people will be pleased about.

In some ways, I think it'd be kick-@$$ if the OS somehow detected what computer you were using, and then displayed it as the button. Each model has a different 'ID' on it's mother board, right? So, if the OS can detect that I am using an LCD iMac, but my Dad is using a TiBook, couldn't it show an iMac LCD for me, and a TiBook for my dad's?

Hmmm, I don't know. I think that little Indigo iMac has to go.

The original mac had little mac pictures everywhere because the software team wanted to create a synergy between the OS and the hardware.

And once the original mac had revolutionized the computer world, well it just seemed nice to keep em around.

Although the original iMacs do mark a great turning point for Apple, I don't think they are important enough to symbolize all of apple's computers... I think they should return to the original intentions of the mac and have that icon reflect your hardware.

okay. UI issues abound here, with inconsistence that would create.. but it would remind the user a little more about their hardware.. and at the end of the day apple makes money from people being aware of their hardware.

plus I don't think new mac users would know what a original iMac was.

Originally posted by aishafenton
Hmmm, I don't know. I think that little Indigo iMac has to go.
plus I don't think new mac users would know what a original iMac was.

Are you kidding me? You'd be surprised at how many people know about Apple. Even little kids. During this last school year I had to transfer busses to get home and the second bus I'd ride was a bunch of 1st-4th graders. I'd be using my TiBook there, and almost half of them would walk by and ask me if it was an iBook. Almost everyone knows what an iMac and an iBook is :)

As for column view, opening all in column view will be great as long as I have my spring-loaded columns :p

Unfortunately, out here in southern Siberia (okay not quite, actually New Zealand) we don't get very much advertising for Apple.

Everyone knows Apple, but for a lot of people they have only opened their eyes since Apple started to release their new consumer line (new iMacs and iPod).

but yeah.. i guess most would know about the original coloured iMacs.. but i don't think they'd have enough brand association to understand that that iMac represents their computer.

These ad campaigns only seem to happen in the US. Usually, all that happens here in the UK is that a couple of the TV slots get some airtime in the run-up to Christmas.

But they're so "American" / out of context (i.e. only bits of a campaign rather than the whole thing), that people just think they're Gap ads, if they catch them at all... :D

Originally posted by fryke
Finally! We can choose to view all windows in Column View. Phew!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! AS long as the spring-loading works well in it, I will be thrilled!

Originally posted by Hypernate
In some ways, I think it'd be kick-@$$ if the OS somehow detected what computer you were using, and then displayed it as the button. Each model has a different 'ID' on it's mother board, right? So, if the OS can detect that I am using an LCD iMac, but my Dad is using a TiBook, couldn't it show an iMac LCD for me, and a TiBook for my dad's?

Ja, klar, das ist nicht ein Problem.
Aber, es would be even better if the picture was user configurable. I mean, so normal people who don't know the Terminal could change that icon to what they wanted.

Originally posted by Hypernate

For a start, that info is already built into the OS. When you connect to the Apple sites using the Software Updates thingy, you're Mac will say: "hi, i'm a quicksilver 867 with a GeFroce 3 etc" and then the corresponding files will be replied back.

But i've already changed mine, dead easy. If you want to know, tell me. Requires a little messing about with the OS Finder.app (backed up original though!)

Take a look at me picture

Attachments

• my screen.jpg
    my screen.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124
I changed my computer's icon to a Cube icon that I "borrowed" from some icon package (probably the first "World of Aqua" package). just find your Finder.app file, do a "Show Package Contents", dig around th Resources, and find the file called "Computer.icns". My subject is misleading: I did not use the terminal, but I did log in as root to replace the file. I believe there are apps out there to let you replace system files without logging in as root OR using the terminal, but when I did this I don't think they were around yet.

Fryke, where did you find the picture of X.2 ?
If you made it yourself, you must have found a X.2 beta somewhere; where please ?

toast - the question "where do i get something i'm not suppossed to have?" is not going to get answered on this site. so don't ask the question.

Sorry Ed, the ambiguity comes here from the French version of this window. May I translate for you what's written here: <b>Keep presentation of window when a new folder's opened in it</b>.

I hope you'll understand why I did doubt. Correct translation of the English version would have been: <B>Conserver la présentation en Colonnes</b>. Okay ?

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 61
The item was changed from what you have. In Jaguar, this really means that every window opened is Columns. Apple *really* wants you to use Columns, it seems, and it makes sense. Combined with Spring Open Folders, the system is really navigable much faster and easier. Also the smoothly opening (zooming) Finder windows give me the impression of an interface right out of a science fiction movie. It's about time, I guess, since we're in the 21st century now.

Back