jaguar - A good pitition to sign

Wafa

Registered
I think Apple is asking for a hefty price to pay for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar). Though I am a Mac user since 1984 (MAC 512) and have since invested over $25.000 in various Apple computers and products; I think that Mr. Jobs is asking too much a price from his loyal base of users to pay for a OS upgrade for which all of us has payed for (at least once). I already payed twice; once when I bought OSX and the other when I purchased my iMac flat screen, a couple of month ago.

Please have a look at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/nopay129/petition.html it is worth your support.

the most you could have paid for OS X, including jaguar, is 258.
originally posted by SimX in another thread

Let's look at two people, one who has used Mac OS X since the public beta, and one who has used Mac OS X since Mac OS X 10.0:

Person 1: Using OS X since public beta:

Mac OS X public beta.... cost: $30
Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129 - $30 (coupon from public beta)
Mac OS X 10.1........... cost: Free upgrade.
Mac OS X 10.2........... cost: $129

Let's add that all up. $30 + ($129 - $30) + $129. You have a calculator on your Powerbook G4, no? $30 and -$30 cancel out. So you have $129 + $129. That makes.. what? $258.

Person 2: Using OS X since Mac OS X 10.0:

Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129
Mac OS X 10.1........... cost: Free upgrade.
Mac OS X 10.2........... cost: $129

So in this case we still have $129 + $129, or $258.

what are you complaining about? check out www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar and read ALL of it. you're getting a great deal for your money.

I have tried out Jaguar DP1 on my machine, and even in that months-old build, I would have to say that Jaguar is worth at least $129, just for Quartz Extreme and the other performance optimizations. I mean, Jag really does make everything graphics-related 250-300% as fast. A $129 RAM upgrade wouldn't get me that much more performance, so I think the software upgrade is a great deal.

And now with iCal and iSync, I can get a lot more utility out of my Palm; the new Mail and Address Book mean I don't need Entourage anymore; the new System Preferences mean I don't need TinkerTool anymore; and there are dozens upon dozens of other little enhancements and extras like Find in the Finder, iChat, Sherlock 3, etc.

Jaguar is the best example I have ever seen of a software company listening to their users and delivering the features and enhancements we asked for, as well as some things we wouln't have thought of :)

Originally posted by 90X Double Side
I would have to say that Jaguar is worth at least $129

Hi Double Side,

You sound like one who invested a hell a lot of $ in Apple stocks :)

The issue i have is that i just bought X in April for my first go at it. I am sure there are many like me that finally decided to give X a go, and what happens, Apple ..... us. Fill that in however you like. :) If Microsoft did that i bet it would make the news, and they would rethink it. I will get it at the student rate, lucky me, but money isn't the issue. Thats just wrong to your customers, i feel cheated, and I hope Apple doesn't want customers to feel as if they were had. A sad way to make a buck.

But if Apple had titled this 10.5 (which by the looks of the the features they would've have been within their rights to do so), people would've been more willing, given that a .5 is more aesthetically pleasing.

You rant and rave about the aura that is MacOS, but you are unwilling to fund them to develop it! Just look at what you will get with 10.2! Do you think this came cheap to Apple?

What is the big deal about a number, who cares, it's a decimal, get real. I'm sure Apple spent a lot to make X, but it's not as if it has not paid for itself already. An upgrade fee would be better PR wise, instead of the full price. If you have it, make it different prices for which original versions you own, although it would be hard to enforce such a thing. Uoba, you must be a PC user, sounds like someone trying to stir up things in the Mac community. Like i said before, let microsoft try that, there would be too much press on them, and they would rethink that strategy, or lack there of.

I don't think Uoba is a PC user, and he HAS a point. people consider x.2 where x is a variable to be not as "big" of a deal as, say, x.5 or x+1.
its a psychological thing. TECHNICALLY, this is equal to a 10.5, but Apple has a "different" way of doing things, as we know. :D :)

My theory is that Apple still hasn't come up with any decent naming convention once they get to version 11, so they're going to make every release a .1 so that they can squeeze 7 more updates in ;)

I think you're right about that :rolleyes: :)

plus the fact that Apple likes to use "X"
I think that after 10.9, they should have OS X 2.0

Again, I'm with Xaq on this one. What's with all the penny pinching? I thought that was for PC users. $129 is a bargain for this upgrade. Sure, there are some things that we all agree should have been in there from the beginning (spring loaded folders), but that's just nitpicking. I'd pay $129 just for the built in bi-directional SMB connectivity alone. This upgrade will pay for itself at my office in under a week.

Now, is it just me, or did they NOT add USB printer sharing? I couldn't find it in the specs. They really need to add that back in.

Now if y'all want to start a petition about the .Mac thing, I guess I can understand even if I really don't give a crap, but puh-lease, whining about a measly $129 for a very solid upgrade with tons of new features, a few iApps and other maturity is really making me ill.

Urbansory, just look at my post count (not that I like to go by those things) to see that I would have to be a pretty deranged pc user to post here 730 times!!

If you look back at Apples history with OS8-9.2 the jumps between 8.x-9.x where quite a lot, but really, there was no more a difference between OS8 & OS9 than there will be between OSX10.1 & OSX10.2... I think Apple (as Xaq and 90x Double Side pointed out), have got themselves in a bit of a sticky, with there numbering (11 is gonna have a holographic desaktop system right!;) )

People like to bemoan Micro$haft when they charge for upgrades because lets face it, every new version is a thinly vailed version of the last with even more twists and turns to do the same thing the wrong way. Apple put out a visionary product each and every year, which is why we follow them so acutely... so lets make sure they can afford all this R&D!

What post count? I never seen one while using this site. I see Member status, location, and icons, an other stuff, but not that. I was just playin when i said that, but you could be undercover, "still playing", Austin PC or something, "Windoze Baby, Yea!"

vs Austin OSX I reckon:D

Is it a coincedence that A Powers goes to the 70s in his latest movie and Jaguar is all pimpin'-furred up!

(By the way, click on your profile in button in one of your posts to see your post count, they where stopped from being easily seen a couple of weeks ago, and for the good I say! (Stops people like me referring to the size, rather than quality!:D )

Back