Jaguar and Classic

macfreak88

Bring me Tiger!
Hi!,

If i install Jaguar will my classic (Mac OS 9) system go away?. If so can i install back or somkething.

Not that i will but only so i know. Can i make the Jaguar an update so i dont have to back all my files up?

Just so it isn´t deleting anything ;)

You have the option of doing an upgrade install, which preserves your OS 9 system, and upgrades your OS X system.

One thing I found that was kind of strange. When I first upgraded to 10.2 my system was sooooo slow. So I figured restart the system, same problem. However once I shut the system down and turned it back on again everything went fast as could be. I don't think I have ever had classic boot that fast before. But here is the catch, if I open classic by double clicking on a classic app, it takes forever still to start up and halts at about 97% and goes nowhere, but if I use system prefs to startup classic it boots in about 12 seconds!?!? I think that is a little odd.... any ideas why?

Don
iMac G4 700 15"" 256MB (where is my extra RAM.. UPS???)

Classic is not included with the full Mac OS X 10.2 disks, no. You get two install disks for 10.2 plus a developers tool disk.

Any classic installation you require will have to be done from any disks you already have.

As I mentioned in my previous post, when you install Jaguar you will have the option of several different installation methods. One of these methods is "upgrade." With this method, your OS 9 system is preserved intact, and your OS 10.1x is upgraded to 10.2. Thus, with this method, you do not need to reinstall OS 9.

However, if you choose the reformat installation, your hard disk will be wiped clean and reformatted and OS 10.2 will be installed. You will then be out of luck, because OS 9 CANNOT be installed over OS 10.2.

If you want to preserve your OS 9 environment, my advice would be to select the UPGRADE installation method.

--
Fetlock
G3 500 iMac (768mb ram); G3 500 iBook (640mb ram); IBM 300XL; assorted VST Firewire drives; not enough desk space.

However, if you choose the reformat installation, your hard disk will be wiped clean and reformatted and OS 10.2 will be installed. You will then be out of luck, because OS 9 CANNOT be installed over OS 10.2.

But I assume that if you have your disk partitioned (with OS 9 and 10.1.5 on different partitions) you should be able to do a clean install of 10.2 in that partition, without affecting OS 9. Right?

Please do not cite me as authority on this, Tony, but my understanding of the "erase" install (or reformat install) is that it erases the hard disk. That would seem to me to make hash out of partitions.

There is an option for an archive install, and that might be what you have in mind, since it archives the current system and installs the new OS 10.2.

Again, I've only done two types of install, on my two different machines: upgrade and erase. I can't speak as any kind of authority on your question.

It also occurs to me that we might have a terminology problem here, "clean," "erase," "reformat," "archive," etc.

Ken Frazier

I took a few minutes to look again at the readme file on the installation disk (disk 1). It is not all that clear, but here's the gist of it.

You can partition the disk during install, if you want to maintain an OS 9 environment, but I think you'd have to back up all your OS 9 stuff, then reinstall it.

The upgrade install preserves the OS 9 system, and upgrades the OS 10 system to the new OS 10.2.

The latter upgrade was the first installation of Jaguar I did, and it did preserve my OS 9 system. However, I chose to reinstall and erase, in order to improve performance, and it did improve performance, dramatically.

So, to answer the original question: Yes, OS 10.2 can be installed as an upgrade, and OS 9 will be preserved.

Back