Jaguar and DAVE

bondiblue

Registered
I use DAVE to my windows and mac network. Can I say goodbye to DAVE after install JAG?

Would I uninstall DAVE before install JAGUAR?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Dave!? LMAO!... What the F**k is / Or WHO the Hell is Dave?! ... lol, man that cracks me up!!!

NeYo

its software that lets mac/pcs see each other on the network. Its pretty good, but i hope i can get rid of it w/ jag too.

Without violating the terms of the JAG NDA, I can tell you that it is Apple's stated goal to have SMB browsing/authentication fully functional when Jag ships. You should be able to browse SMB/WINS/AD networks, across subnets, and have all names resolve correctly. Jag Server is supposed to be able to act as an AD PDC.

Read between the lines if you like... you <B>*should*</B>be able to remove DAVE once Jag ships.

=Rednoise

I'm pretty sure they will, as you can turn on Windows File Sharing in a preference panel in Jaguar...

well i installed jag beta 6c115 and dave does not work, and file sharing doesnt work the same without it... jag allows you to browse a computer or windows to browse via ip address, but so far i have not found a way for you to add the mac to a windows network and have it show up like any other wintel machine on the network without dave

:(

In Jaguar you can enable Windows File Sharing. You can't browse for Macs from the PC but if you know the Hostname/IP you can connect from the PC by going to Start-->Run...-->\\hostname_or_ip\username

*You have to create a new user on the Mac and check "Allow user to login from Windows" check box for this to work. Even though I am the admin user on my OS X box that check box was greyed out and unselectable.

**edit: Logging in as the root user allowed me to enable this feature for my admin account. It prompts you to change the password for the user. I chose the same password. it told me that the password couldn't be changed, but upon logging back in then connecting from PC change did take affect.

Originally posted by cybergoober
In Jaguar you can enable Windows File Sharing. You can't browse for Macs from the PC but if you know the Hostname/IP you can connect from the PC by going to Start-->Run...-->\\hostname_or_ip\username

*You have to create a new user on the Mac and check "Allow user to login from Windows" check box for this to work. Even though I am the admin user on my OS X box that check box was greyed out and unselectable.

How can I share a folder in X.2?

Your best bet is going to be Share Points (search versiontracker.com/macosx). This will allow you to share individual folders or drives. In OS X, by default, you can't share individual folders or drives. When you enable sharing you share each user's home directory. Logging in as Guest gives you access to each local user's Public folder. Logging in as an admin user gives you full access to the system, all local drives (except other users' home directories). Logging in as a normal user gives you access to that user's home directory and all Public folders on the system. All of this applies to logging in using Apple File Protocol. When logging in from windows you are presented with whomever's home directory you log in as.

thursby support says that they will release an update when or shortly after jaguar is released

jags "windows file sharing" capabilities are very limited, i need to be able to go back and forth flawlessly and effortlessly like i am with dave, i need my mac to be on my network neighborhood on my pc and my pc drives to be mounted on my mac, this cant happen straight out of jaguar, so i have to wait :(

Whatever Jaguar ends up supporting, you can always just install a Samba server if you want your Mac to appear in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places /Etc. on Windows. Apple even has a HOW TO on installing it: http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/documentation/howto/html/osxsmb.html#serv

That will also give you the flexibility to define shares for any folder, device, etc. that you want and not just being restricted to the Users directory. Also has a web-based administrative interface (or you can use Webmin).

Originally posted by cybergoober
Your best bet is going to be Share Points (search versiontracker.com/macosx). This will allow you to share individual folders or drives. In OS X, by default, you can't share individual folders or drives. When you enable sharing you share each user's home directory. Logging in as Guest gives you access to each local user's Public folder. Logging in as an admin user gives you full access to the system, all local drives (except other users' home directories). Logging in as a normal user gives you access to that user's home directory and all Public folders on the system. All of this applies to logging in using Apple File Protocol. When logging in from windows you are presented with whomever's home directory you log in as.

I tried to use Share Points in 10.2 but it does not work...

Just my 2 cents, I think Dave is a nice program, but its price is way too high for a home user like me who wants to connect 1 lousy PC to one lousy Mac. Though it is far from an optimal solution, currently I just ftp files between these two machines. I hope Apple does implement something slick in 10.2 - it will go a long way to making Macs easier to use and justify in a PC world.

Originally posted by bondiblue

I tried to use Share Points in 10.2 but it does not work...

Well I was kinda talking about when the final came out. Jag is after all still in beta.

IMO Dave is an incredibly great program, never has it been so easy to trade files between my two comps :)

At my company my team uses 10 Macs for various tasks, editing, encoding, graphics, etc. When we used OS9 we were forced to use DAVE to connect to the NT network of my company. DAVE was a thorn in our sides. always a problem child. Since switching to OSX no more DAVE. We now run OSX 10.1.5 and through SMB and DHCP we connect to the NT network without any problems. In our shop DAVE is dead. Long live OSX!!!!

Back