Jaguar and FTPs problem

toast

Gone !
I have a friend with a Linux FTP server [Mandrake 8.2, homedns.org account]. Up to now I could connect easily with Fetch to get some stuff from his.

Now that I've changed from X.15 to X.2, the FTP freezes on "Getting file list"... I can't connect anymore, Chimera and IE refuse too.

What can I do ? Any new settings ? Anything to do ?

My understanding from a Macworld article is that Jaguar cannot connect to FTP servers. My experience has allowed me to connect, mount a share, but when i click on the drive it disappears. This is known by Apple, but i think they just simply do not support it. Check out the Sept issue of Macworld. The article "make peace with PC's" tells you all about it, if my memory serves correctly.

I use Netfinder to connect to FTP servers with no probelms. You can also try to connect using afp://ipaddress, but i don't know if Linux supports Appletalk. If it did, your friend would have to turn it on.

Peace.

Ver

open Terminal and use ftp there, it works every time.
Just type ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replacing the x's with an actual IP, obviously) and go... type 'help' if you can't figure a command out.

When I ugpgraded to 10.2, the installed toggled my preference for pasive mode FTP. THis caused all FTP clients to experience problems (from error messages to outright crashing).

check the network prefpane, under the proxies tab. The Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV) should be checked (even if you do not have an FTP proxy)

Back