Jaguar constantly crashing... Help

dannybo

Registered
Hi

I got my powerbook G4 4 days ago and in the past three days my powerbook has crashed at least once a day. Everytime it starts with an app or the finder crashing, and then I cant access force quit because the mouse cursor is "busy" on the menu bar. The force quit function built into dock doesnt seem to work either and restarting Finder doesnt do anything. Anyways the computer eventually end up being completely unresponsive and the only thing I can do is a hard reset.

I am running 10.2.5. The powerbook is 667mhz 768 MB memory and 30gig hd. I did a hardware test using Apple Hardware Test CD, everything passed and I also did a bad sector scan on HD and there is no bad sectors. Anyone can help?

Thank you.

Run a privileges check from the install CD, if that doesn't get it, you need something like Drive 10, or Norton. There are other apps out there, but I personally use Norton Systemworks 2.

Are you running Unsanity Haxies? If so - run the installer again and UNINSTALL (mainly the APE - Application Enhancer) and I think you will see a HUGE difference in stability without APE enabled.

They never give the info needed to help them, so we just guess away at the number of reasons. If there isn't a thread on common issues, there really should be.

Are you on a network?

Sometimes the network connections screw up and the Mac never stops looking for the network (spinning beachball cursor).

I avoid it by religiously "unmounting" any network drives and switching off the airport card when I put the Mac to sleep.

Back