Jaguar / HP Inkjet issue.... please help!

Bluefusion

Into the Breach
OK, come on, someone has to be running Jaguar with an HP Inkjet. Has anyone gotten it to print? I installed the HP driver, and Print Center crashes every time I try to add a new printer. How can I fix this? Gah! I would use Jaguar exclusively (I don't mind minor bugs) if it at least supports my printer--I can't understand Apple doing Quartz Extreme perfectly but not having decent third-party (read: nonincluded drivers) printing...

Jaguar is great, btw. If I can get this worked out... I'll be in heaven :)

I think what you've come across is a "minor bug". Don't expect it to be fixable.

Ya, I figured that.

*sigh* back to 10.1.3 for me (thank god I got rid of 10.1.4...)

Well, Jag looks great. Can't wait for the final! There really aren't many bugs to fix... I don't see why it should take very long. Here is my full bug list so far:

iChat has some missing features ("Unimplemented Feature")
Printing problems with nonincluded drivers
Um.....
Help doesn't always work properly, and can't find anything (it searches ALL help, not just specific program help)
The Finder's Find (ironic, eh?) sometimes stops for no reason.

That's not too bad.... they can fix all of that in a month if they wanted to. I don't see where the delay is? Every other hardware device I own (I don't know about my Visor, but...) seems to work except for the printer...

Jag is advancing pretty rapidly. This is NOT "alpha code", as Steve said. There's no way! It's ALMOST complete already. I can't WAIT!

My guess in why there is a delay is that 1) zeroconf, or Rendezvous, is not implemented at all (from what I've heard), 2) the new printing CUPS engine is not complete either, 3) iChat is not finished, 4) Quartz Extreme is not perfected, and 5) the improved Windows networking is not yet in Jaguar either. There's plenty of room for improvement, and I'd rather have a GOOD operating system than a rushed one.

Yes, all of what you said IS missing. I have to say though, Quartz Extreme really works, if you've got the card for it--and even if you don't the multithreading (as i said on another thread) is the FAR BIGGER speed increase in jaguar, and that works on all machines.

Rendezvous would be hard to actually figure out if it was working or not... I mean, the whole idea is that it just does, right? Well, unless the whole network is running Jaguar, that wouldn't make itself available, and since my whole network isn't running Jaguar, I don't see it.. :)

I do think that CUPS is done (as it's an old standard), but it probably needs printer companies to write some new drivers (hence my printer crashing)... I might want to try installing a CUPS printer driver instead... hmmm..... :):)

My epson 740i doesn't work with Jag either....s'ok though.

My PNY GeForce 2MX 400 doesn't work either...gotta get a Radeon anyway but I'm hoping the printer does work with the final. Although right now Print Center says that my printer it's not supported...hehe.

Yeah, mine lists as unsupported, until I install the HP drivers... which are necessary... then print center crashes every time i try to add a printer.

Good call, Noot, but I did stumble across this issue already, and found that dragging the Canon folder to the trash didn't help (although I strongly recommend anyone who owns one should drag their Canon printer to the trash as well, buy an HP, and experience the excellent OS X support--featuring INK LEVEL CHECKS! WOW! What an amazing new feature!!!) :) but deleting the entire Printers folder solved the problem--or so I thought. With no printer folder, Print Center at least showed my printer as "HP 920 -- unsupported" and didn't crash, but installing the hp drivers made it do the same thing again. I'm guessing the new CUPS print engine isn't compatible yet. Unfortunately, I've encountered a few more major Jaguar problems that culminated in me NOT BEING ABLE TO USE X-- even when the Jaguar drive was disconnected altogether! So, back I go to a fresh, reinitialized drive with 10.1.3 (10.1.4 never liked my Mac :)) until Jaguar is on the prowl come September.

Noot, I'm honored that your first post is to my thread... thanks!

I had problems with my Epson Stylus 777. Then I installed the aditional printer drivers on the second jaguar disc.

Well, gang, I am happy to report that it works for some random reason now... so, I'm moving to Jag exclusively!!! YIPPPEEEEE!

I'm still a little nervous to install the Beta version of Jag. I think I'm going to wait until its out......Maybe. :)
Oh, do you like your Sound System Bluefusion? I have the exact same sound system. I love it.

Back