Jaguar install problem on Beige

crash_af

Registered
Hi,
This is my first post here...I have a G3 266, with 576 RAM, 20 GB IDE HD. I have OS 9.2.1 installed on it and am trying to install Jaguar. When I try to install, it reboots to the CD and then freezes on the grey screen with the dark grey apple. A white streak appearrs across the center of the screen like an error message is trying to appear but the system locks up before it can fully form.

I have used this CD to install on a G4 400, so I don't think that it is a CD problem.

Thanks for any help,

Joe

Quote from Apple Knowledge Base: "On certain computers, Mac OS X cannot install on a volume that is not completely contained within the first 8 GB of an ATA hard disk."

This is definitely the case with Beige G3's. Although, I don't know if that's why you're Mac is freezing while trying to boot from the install disc. I had somewhat similar results when I first tried to install Jaguar on my B&W G3. The reason I was having problems was because I was trying to install Jag from a drive that was not set as Master.

I had the same experience recently, on the same computer as you.
Actually, bad Jag CD was the cause for such a freezing (suspect bad CD support or burned with high speed not really compatible with drives). There are plenty of threads on this, even from people with brand new computers. Go to your computer shop and ask for CD exchange.
Once jag installed with another CD (install was completed smoothly and successfully), I updated 10.2 with 10.2.1. Then I met another problem – blue screen on start up – that I solved with "disk permissions repair" from the bootable CD. Now everything's running fine (I didn't need to erase and install, only update). I'm still waiting for a "Jag compatible" printer driver (fortunately I got 2 printers, one is compatible). Except that, I noticed a speed increase on my old Beige G3 266. Jag is full of great features and 100% stable for me.

Jag will give an error if the firmware is incorrect on a beige g3. Get the latest firmware and install it. The partition size resoved my issue with the jag install.

Tell me more about the firmware update... I was under the impression that you couldn't update the firmware of the Beige.

According to the System Profiler, the ROM revision is $77D.40F2

Is this compatible with Jaguar?

Later,
Joe

When I originally installed 10.0.3 on my beige it did an automatic rom update of some type rebooted and installed the OS. This did not occur in 10.2. But I did have to install the OS on a 8GB partition. There is no easy work around for this.

Ok, it's been about a month and I've moved forward somewhat...

I formatted and partitioned the HD into a 7.5/2.5/8GB format and changed out the ROM to the Rev C $77D.45F2 version. Now it will load the CD and run the installer, but when it finishes installation it reboots to the same gray screen with the white 'smudged' error box.

My question is, WTF? Why would it run the installer just fine but die when it tries to work off the HD? Also, the Disk Utility included with the installer finds no problems with the HD.

Again, the complete specs are:
G3 Beige 266 with 576MB RAM, 20GB IDE HD, 24X IDE CD ROM, SCSI internal IOMEGA Zip 100

** EDIT: I used cmd-V as recommended in the other grey screen hang post and here's what it told me. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have can tell me what it means:

using 1474 buffer headers and 1474 cluster IO buffer headers
verifyCompatibility(): Extension "com.apple.kernel.iokit" cannot found
getDependencyListForKmod(): Dependency com.apple.kernel.iokit of com.apple.driver.AppleGossamerPE is not compatible or is unavailable.
load_kernel_extension(): Can't get dependencies for kernel extension "com.apple.driver.AppleGossamerPE".
IOCatalogue: com.apple.driver.AppleGossamerPE cannot be loaded
verifyCompatibility(): Extension "com.apple.kernel.iokit" cannot found
getDependencyListForKmod(): Dependency com.apple.kernel.iokit of com.apple.iokit.AudioDeviceTreeUpdater" is not compatible or is unavailable.
load_kernel_extension(): Can't get dependencies for kernel extension "com.apple.iokit.AudioDeviceTreeUpdater".
IOCatalogue: com.apple.iokit.AudioDeviceTreeUpdater cannot be loaded
panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "AAPL,PowerMac G3".

Latest stack backtrace for cpu0:
** this area is covered by the 'smudged error box' **
Darwin Kernel Version 6.0:
Sat Jul 27 13:18:52 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-344.obj1/RELEASE_PPC

No debugger configured - dumping debug information!
MSR=00001030
Latest stack backtrace for cpu0:
Backtrace:
0x0008593C 0x00085F00 0x00028B8C 0x002314A8 0x00213834 0x00214184 0x002147E0
0x00204C60 0x00204C24
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x01811500)
PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000; R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000; (unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 6.0:
Sat Jul 27 13:18:52 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-344.obj1/RELEASE_PPC

panic: We are hanging here...

** End EDIT **

Thanks,
Joe

Did this have any previous versions of X on it at any point? I would try an older version then do the upgrade to 10.2. It worked on my beige G3.

No, it was a clean install. I waited until Jag came out to get OSX so I don't have another version. I'll see if I can find someone around here who has a copy of OSX.

Thanks,
Joe

Ok, I found something new... while waiting for OSX to install after reformatting the HD (again) I decided to open the installer log. The first two lines might be my problem. What they said was:

ERROR: Could not read archive file. - pax: End of archive volume 1 reached -
ERROR: Could not write file. - pax: WARNING! These patterns were not matched:

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Joe

Got it to work!!!

For some reason the Jag installer must not include a component to recognize the Gossamer G3 processor. I picked up a copy of OSX and OS10.1 and tried running through the upgrade path and all installed fine.

At this point, Jaguar 10.2.3 has been running happily on the Beige for four days without a hiccup.

Later,
Joe

Back